News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Removing Mk4 kitchen/awning light

Started by Howezit, September 21, 2018, 01:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howezit

How, without breaking the thing, do I remove the kitchen/awning light on the side of my Mk4?
I want to find a way to incorporate a waterproof switch so that I don't have to always climb into the Tvan to switch the light on and off as it's required... especially since the switch is on the opposite side of the Tvan..
But I first need to get to the wiring somehow.
Graham & Debbie Howe
Driving : Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi
Towing : Tvan Tanami Mk4

Wetjala

I have recently constructed a remote controller (using off the shelf components) to do what you are trying to do as well as turn the internal light on remotely albeit separately. It's still in it's prototype stage, meaning I need to tidy up the wiring to box that houses the receiver, but I can probably knock up a rough "How To" if you  are interested. Basically it's just a two channel (relay) garage door controller with a couple of 2-channel key fobs (one for me and the other for the "trouble and strife"). One channel turns those external LED lights on/off while the second channel if for the main internal LED light. It's not too difficult to construct as long as you are comfortable with a soldering iron and okay with fiddling around in the inside electrical panel of the T-Van.

I looked at installing an external switch or two to perform this function but I wasn't happy with the IP waterproof ratings of commonly available switches so looked at using some kind of remote option. It works great with a range of around 15m from the T-Van in all directions!

Let me know if you want the details? (FYI: Mines a MkIV Murranji so the internals "should" be the same!)

Howezit

Quote from: Wetjala on September 21, 2018, 04:47:18 PM
Let me know if you want the details? (FYI: Mines a MkIV Murranji so the internals "should" be the same!)
PM sent :)
Graham & Debbie Howe
Driving : Nissan Patrol 4.2 TDi
Towing : Tvan Tanami Mk4

luke

I've done this to ours for the same reason.  The white cowling is held on by two small clips on the top, and lots of silicone underneath.  From memory, once the cowling is off there are a couple of screws holding on the rest.

Originally I was going to put a switch in the tvan body and pull the wires though, but the aluminum inside change my mind, and I put a small toggle though the side of the light itself.

Photos in this thread somewhere, and the switch is protected by the lights stone guard.
http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=2032.msg16609#msg16609

I also put two switches for  the lights on either side of the hatch. They are a bit easier as they are accessible from inside (once the tent is down) and are protected by the tvan body.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150