News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Cooking scones or cake in the Bushmans BBQ

Started by DavidCee, October 04, 2018, 09:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCee

Has anyone had success in cooking cakes or scones in the bushmans?
2011 Topaz
2020 Mazda BT50

Harry Lissimore

We did try scones in our Bushman while we were away and did have some success.

Firstly my wife used plain flour in stead of self raising - that didn't have a good ending!

Then we found some self raising flour and gave that ago.  We took the bbq plate off and used the trivet that fits over the flame, however, as the bushman is extremely hot, we webberised it by putting 2 layers of alfoil on the trivet,  then used a little trivet on top of that to provide a space, and the baking tray on top of that trying to get more indirect heat rather than direct heat.  It worked but the bottom of the scones were just starting to burn.  I even turned the heat down lower than minimum by turning the knob back towards OFF from FULL, as the low setting was too hot. We cooked them for about 8 minutes.  They were edible, but not as good as at home!

Next time, I will leave the BBQ plate on and put a trivet on top and put the baking tray on that.  The only problem with that is that I can't see the flame so I can't turn it down really low.

I also had all the vent holes on the lid closed.

Cheers

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

DavidCee

We had success. Pre heated the oven for 10 mins. Put the scones on a rack and cooked on high for 10 mins. Need to cover the drain hole in the hotplate
2011 Topaz
2020 Mazda BT50

Harry Lissimore

Why did you cover the drain hole, and did you leave the hotplate in?
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

DavidCee

The bottoms burnt where heat came through the drain hole. Yes, we left the hotplate in
2011 Topaz
2020 Mazda BT50