News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Another camper trailer company in trouble...

Started by Danno47, October 10, 2018, 05:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danno47

First Kimberley Kampers goes bust (for a while at least) and now I hear Ultimate is in trouble and gone into voluntary administration...

monktm

True about ultimate. Media release tonight .
Looks like tvan out on there own now

Gumb

Kimberley have at least found another buyer so they may kick on but this also happened to them earlier this year so it's second time around. Pioneer got saved by being purchased by Trackmaster.

With Ultimate, do you mean the fibreglass Ultimate camper which looks like a boat or the camper trailer version. The latter being the subject of a photo recently where the chassis parted company with the body on an outback road, with a picture posted online.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Forumwatcher

Troopy with 2010 TVan

Danno47

People just aren't as interested in paying 75-100k for a simple camper trailer anymore, it's hardly surprising because even the bare bones basic models are still well over 50k from these companies, Track included and the way things are going it's a worrying trend...

Gumb

I could never see the point of the Ultimate. I looked at them before I bought the Tvan but with all that canvas on top, you may as well buy a forward fold camper for half the price.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

MarkA

I just didn't understand the inside kitchen, we looked and chose the tvan for the lack of canvas over the bed. But like everything it's compromises suited the people that opted to buy it.  There is no doubt it was a well built product,  sad to see another local manufacturer go the way of the Dodo. 
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

Wildmax

Very sad to read the Ultimate news, and Kimberley a few months ago. Both extremely well made products with a deserved reputation for innovation and quality build.
In both cases their top of the line "inventions" must have put some pressure on the companies and may have been a leap too far in terms of both technology and development cost.
Hopefully companies like Track and AOR are taking a close look at their erstwhile competitors' experiences to see what pitfalls to avoid.
I'm very happy with my AOR Eclipse (similar to the Topaz), but still reckon the TVan is clearly the best camper trailer on the market and we really gave ours a pounding.
I guess for the quality Aussie manufacturers, "stick to the knitting" is a good message......keep doing what you do well, keep looking after the army of loyal customers, and be extremely careful with quality control and any new product investment arising from your R&D.
Good luck in the continuing battle against those dodgy imports!!
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Young Nomads

Quote from: Gumb on October 10, 2018, 11:08:36 PM
Kimberley have at least found another buyer so they may kick on but this also happened to them earlier this year so it's second time around. Pioneer got saved by being purchased by Trackmaster.

With Ultimate, do you mean the fibreglass Ultimate camper which looks like a boat or the camper trailer version. The latter being the subject of a photo recently where the chassis parted company with the body on an outback road, with a picture posted online.

A very sad day for this  Ultimate and BT50 owner, on the Gary Highway
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Seals

Very sad indeed. Noticed today that Track are now retailers for Cub. Bottom line is that many buyers are happy with lesser quality imports which might not cut the mustard in challenging conditions. Hoping that the vertical integration move isn't a step in the same direction as their  worthy competitors. I agonised in my purchase of a Scout and decided that in the end, given its serious off-road capability and real quality, resale would work for me. That said, I sense that the hitherto quick turnover of used TVans is slowing down and more than likely as a result of cheap imports, some of which are ok but many just glitzy rubbish covered in checker plate and aggressive tyres!
New and very pleased Scout owner

RAR110

The issue of cheaper imports is an interesting one for me, as I like most started with tents and swags. Then a track tactical with big rooftop tent. Back to a tent as being able to stand up in it was an important criteria. Then the giant financial  leap (for us) into cheap import trailer.

It resembled the many rear folding campers around but a bit like the early Kimberley campers. It was solidly built, had reasonable quality canvas, it all worked ok, and it had generic suspension and other components that could be reasonably easily sourced.

But I got the urge to lash out on a 11 year old TVan (for 1.5 times the money of the new cheapy) as the cheapy was quite heavy, paint and body work was pretty ordinary and it was too much effort/time/work to set up if moving everyday. The much older TVan is a much better product. But I would have never won the argument to spend that sort of money to upgrade from a tent.

And for me that's the problem for Oz manufacturers. The cheapy was pretty reasonable value and would work ok in light to medium conditions. It was also the stepping stone that allowed me to get into a quality camper.

Hopefully track mate and some drifta style products will be a viable alternative entry level camper.
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Seals

probably boils down to the size of the potential customer base which is keen on real off road travel as opposed to caravan park hopping which  can be done with just about any rig combination.

RAR110

Yes, true off road capability campers are a niche market. Probably a small one.
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Seals

It would make sense if Track and Cub were to merge, thereby covering each end of that niche of serious bush travellers.