News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Best Hot Water System to Install

Started by Troopy64, November 02, 2018, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troopy64

Hi All,

Looking into purchasing a portable Hot Water System for my MK11, i have looked at the Joolca system. reviews look ok.
any suggestions
TIA

Gumb

I had a Lithium Aqua Cube, used it on one trip (a couple of times) and sold it. Too much trouble and too much wasted space in my book. Particularly on a trip when you are moving around every day or so. Setting the thing up just outside the ensuite tent, reaching out to adjust the water temp, was just a pita. Plus the extra work and space carting extra gas bottles around. Even with a front box giving us a lot of storage, I found much better uses for the space than a water heater. Once going, it was great but we prefer hot water in a bucket and a $30 camp shower with pump dropped in the bucket. It turns on and off via a switch on the power lead which goes to the merit plug next to the 240v input. We heat water with a Kelly kettle using twigs we pick up so no gas is used at all.

I looked long and hard at the Joolka unit and the many similar brands and have seen one in action on a Tvan but as I said, the bother of setting it up just 'aint worth the effort.

That's my 2c anyway.   
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

MarkA

We use a joolca hot water unit on some of our camps. Once you sort it it's a a quick clip and go option. We only use it on longish base camps as on rolling trips I use the heat exchanger in our car. It's a good little unit but can be little fiddley to get the temp right.(as can the car unit)  But nothing beats a hot shower after a long day of playing off road.   Like everything if you want it enough you will find a way to fit it in, ours fits inside a plastic Jerry that doubles as a bucket, so I can store it as well as the hose , shower head ,washing powder, cloathes line, pegs etc.
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

obeeone

G'day

I agree with Gumb  if you want a shower like at home stay there or as Gumb said buy a $30 12 volt shower and chuck a bit of hot water in a bucket or tub mix in  a bit of cold to the desired temp and bobs ya uncle.  Or ya could buy a caravan with all the bells and whistles and a shower.

Obeeone

MarkA

It always amazes me the negative feed back we give to people asking questions. Like you guys I used a billy in the fire, add cold to suit and sponge down, it felt great, later I upgraded to a $20 portable pump and shower head, amazing, then I got a "real tent and 4WD (upgraded from a Suzuki stockman and pop tent to canvas and a Nissan patrol) I also got an in car heat exchanger and fitted a pump under the bull bar.  After a day playing in the mud with the scouts and there parents a hot shower was a true winner, I had a queue of people wanting showers on remote camps,  now with a camper I use a hot water system on longer camps, and why not if water is available and I can spare the gas, people still line up after a day of wet or cold camping,,  do I still use the billy and wash cloth, u bet when it's all iv got, but I moved with the times,  just like our cars, my first didn't come with a heater, now it's almost impossible to get one without aircon,  if it suits you, do the research and find a portable system that can do what you need it to and enjoy,  end of rant.
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

three1four2

Quote from: MarkA on November 02, 2018, 09:58:47 PM
It always amazes me the negative fed back we give to people asking questions. Like you guys I used a billy in the fire, add cold to suit and sponge down, it felt great, later I upgraded to a $20 portable pump and shower head, amazing, then I got a "real tent and 4WD (upgraded from a Suzuki stockman and pop tent to canvas and a Nissan patrol) I also got an in car heat exchanger and fitted a pump under the bull bar.  After a day playing in the mud with the scouts and there parents a hot shower was a true winner, I had a queue of people wanting showers on remote camps,  now with a camper I use a hot water system on longer camps, and why not if water is available and I can spare the gas, people still line up after a day of wet or cold camping,,  do I still use the billy and wash cloth, u bet when it's all iv got, but I moved with the times,  just like our cars, my first didn't come with a heater, now it's almost impossible to get one without aircon,  if it suits you, do the research and find a portable system that can do what you need it to and enjoy,  end of rant.
Well rant'ed! [emoji41]
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

Gumb

Mark, I don't see giving my opinion as being negative. Opinions were asked for and delivered with no malice or bad intent. As I said, it's just my 2c.

Forums are for debate and everyone will have a different opinion. We'd all be driving the same car or have the same set up otherwise.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

MarkA

Hay Gump I wasn't having a go at you, but comments like
"if you want a shower like at home stay there"
To me, come across as negative and dismissive
Perhaps I'm to touchy,  as you say we would all have the same setup if we didn't have different requirements,
Have an opinion by all means,  but there's no need for negative input. 
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3

Gumb

No probs, back to the topic.

Regardless of the method you use to heat water, the ensuite tent is certainly a very good addition to the set up. What my wife likes is the fact that you don't need to go outside the van to shower or use the porta loo.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Redmud Rob

Well something different
We use a Coleman hws. Small and portable and doesn't take up much room at all. Have had it at least 3 years but we don't waste the water.
I circulate it into a wide mouth portable, and very stable, bucket... generally from a jerry can which may have been sourced from a nice creek.
You don't have to worry about wastage or temp regulation then.
Once ready I use a 12 volt rechargeable shower which feels great but has low flow. I get mine from Jarcar. Have two spares in case of rust etc. still on the first.. just let em dry out.
Anyhow. We can have a really decent shower each or if mother regulates the flow by turning off while she shampoos, we get a full hair wash and two great showers from the 8 to 9 litres we heat. Even in pretty frigid weather.
Of course we were told it would not work but many .camping with us have followed suit.
Good luck
150 series Prado Kakadu 2016 followed closely by,
2016 Mark IV Murranji with some extra fruit.

Never wait till the end of your life to realise you failed to live it.

Gumb

So a question for those using a gas unit. Do you find it a fiddle to regulate the temperature considering the unit is outside the ensuite tent ? Or do you use the unit to heat the bucket of water while outside the tent by recirculating it until the water is hot and then taking the bucket in to the tent ?
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

The gas ones seem to work better if your just drawing cold water, and using it straight away. 
These are a big trap for the amount of water you can use. 
As well as needing the heater and gas bottle out in the open, outside the trailer and tentage.
So you need co-operation from someone else, who doesn't harbour a grudge, or waste water getting the settings right.
Or set it up outside, beside a privacy en-suite cubicle, where you can reach the controls.

The ones that are just a pump and shower rose have to be heated to a usable Temp. and then used straight away.
So there's a period of anticipation involved, before use.  And can be used inside the En-suite, in relative seclusion.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Veno

Just reading through the shower comments and the concerns about adjusting the water temp control from outside the shower tent. Why not have a flap cut and sewn into the shower tent so access to the control can gained from the inside. Then hang the hws unit  at arms reach and still a safe distance from the tent.

luke

Regarding the water temperature adjustment, we don't find it an issue.

Generally for the kids, we just recycle the water back into a big tub until it's the right temp, and then turn it off. (as they tend to bath)

For the adults, we do pretty much the same, but we don't heat the bucket up as much.  Once the water coming out of the 'hot end' is ok, we turn it off and set ourselves up.  We then just stop and start the unit (turn shower on and off) as required.  If the 'hot hose' is short then it's back at temperature pretty quick.

* All dependant on both the water and ambient temperature.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

luke

I should have also mentioned that we use a Joolca.

• Mounted in the front box and ready to go
  • changed the gas fitting to match the Tvan stove
  • Added a tvan water outlet from the pump box for when we've got water to spare.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150