News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tvan Value For Money

Started by Kimcam, November 05, 2018, 05:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boyce

I agree that the build quality of the Vista is excellent an am looking forward to using it. A recent purchase! Maybe an AOR in the future!

Gumb

I like the Vista but it's too cramped for me. Plus an outside loo and shower. Tvan is better.

It doesn't matter what you buy, there's always a compromise.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

robstevens

I personally don't like a layout where you have to pack up the bed in order to get to the table... If you are going to have a table and a bed inside, you need a proper van. And in that case, you should have the kitchen inside as well... So we get to a 20ft van pertty soon!

We had the requirements of needing "A bed in a box" and this being easy to tow. Bingo: Tvan.
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

boyce

I think it's great that people like and enjoy Tvans. I did too. They are a great product. However, over time, needs and physical abilities change and therefore what the is "best" changes depending on your circumstances. I've been really happy with my KK, then with the Tvan and now, looking forward to using the Vista. They are all good and like all campers have their areas of relative strength and weakness. Balancing all this up, we decided it was time for a change. Time to move on...

Forumwatcher

Is that 'time to move on' to a new forum?
Troopy with 2010 TVan

boyce

I think that last comment is unhelpful and definitely not in the spirit of this forum, which is almost always delivered in a polite and respectful fashion...

Shaker

Interestingly the Vista Crossover was partly designed by the designer of the Tvan, he spent a lot of time perfecting the suspension & eliminating the bump steer inherent in MC2, also the manuafacturer used to do most of the Tvans sheet metal work.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Danno47

Quote from: Shaker on November 17, 2018, 11:24:59 AM
Interestingly the Vista Crossover was partly designed by the designer of the Tvan, he spent a lot of time perfecting the suspension & eliminating the bump steer inherent in MC2, also the manuafacturer used to do most of the Tvans sheet metal work.

Not hard to tell that, that suspension looks very familiar.....

Alan Loy

Back to value for money.

I think that this is an impossible question as it's so personal.  Tvans are quite specific in what they do, so if that's what you want then they are value for money for you. 

I spent some time with a group of people in the Kimberly, everything from a soft floor to a Kimberly Kamper to a 21 ft caravan.  They all did the trip.  Personally I wouldn't have swapped our Tvan for anything except (maybe) the AOR Quantum.  Maybe the $15000 soft floor was the best value for money but I was glad it wasn't mine.

Cruiser 105Tvan

It appears that Ultimate Campers will live on......

Just posted on the Ultimate Campers Facebook page:

The Adventure Will Continue....

After the recent voluntary closure of Moruya-based Ultimate Off-Road Campers, Eagle Outdoors Group is excited to announce the purchase of this iconic off-road brand and is looking forward to continuing to manufacture these world-class innovative campers in Moruya.

"We are one hundred per cent committed to the people and local community who have made this amazing camper such a success over the past two plus decades and are pleased to announce production will recommence immediately," said new owners and founders of Eagle Outdoor Group, David and Bronwyn Rodgers.
Eagle Outdoors is a large, well known and respected outdoor and camping manufacturing family business that has been in operation since 1978. The company?s headquarters is in Melbourne.

"We are delighted to be re-employing many of the local team who know this product inside out and will take us forward in the years ahead. These are high-quality campers that will continue to be made in Australia, by Australians, for Australian off-road adventures," they added.

Other Eagle Outdoor Group brands include, amongst others, Bluewater Campers, EMU Camper Trailers and Didgeridoonas Australia.

Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Jerika

I couldn't agree more that value for money is a personal choice. For many years we had a series of Jayco camper trailers as our kids grew up, starting with a 1980 Jayco dove we picked up for $4200, and finishing up with a 2008 Jayco Hawk Outback we picked up for $19,000 in 2012 for a half lap of Australia. We took the Hawk outback. Oodnadatta track, Mereenie Loop, East McDonald Ranges on the Binn's Track, Kakadu, Gibb River Road and up to King Edward River (roughest road we've ever driven), and numerous rough roads through the Pilbara.  Apart from a few loose cupboard doors after the trip up to King Edward River we had no problems with the Jayco Hawk.  We sold it earlier this year for $16,500 after 6 years of use and over 200 nights camping. Now that was value for money.

Life moves on and the kids are in their late teens and don't want to come camping with the olds anymore. Time for a camper trailer that suits just our needs, the Tvan.

At the Melbourne caravan show earlier this year we fell in love with the new Tvan Mk5 Scout. A great camper, but still a hefty price tag. We returned home (we live walking distance from the show grounds) to think it over and decided let's do it. I got as far as the front door but couldn't go any further. It didn't feel right at that price and for the relatively limited use while we still work full time. Had we already retired there would have been no hesitation and we would be out and about enjoying a nice new Mk5 now.

So we settled on a 2011 Tvan Murranji and saved over $20,000. Still an expensive camper trailer, but it's fantastic, has everything we need, tows beautifully, has a very comfortable bed, truly off-road capable, and is a joy to use. Value for money in our book.
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

Cruiser 105Tvan

Well done Jeremy, you'll find the 2011 isn't much different to the Mk4/5 in size.
It's definitely bigger than the 2010 model Mk2. and you can trade up at a later time.
All good things to remember when your out there using the Tvan having a great time.

As long as the greenies don't manage to create their Great Forest National Park.
Locking everyone out and creating the biggest population of Feral pigs, goats, dogs, cats, foxes, and DEER etc. in Australian History.

Get out and enjoy while we still can.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

ccol2621

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on November 06, 2018, 01:47:29 AM
Ultimate Camper trailers have bitten the dust too.

Like Kimberley? as in closed down?
MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

Gumb

Quote from: ccol2621 on January 02, 2019, 10:08:57 PM
Like Kimberley? as in closed down?
Just go back up 3 posts from yours to find the update and answer.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS