Author Topic: Topaz Cracked Rims  (Read 350 times)

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
Topaz Cracked Rims
« on: December 02, 2018, 04:37:00 PM »
Just putting it out there to see if I'm the only one that's had cracked Dynamic rims.  I had one last year, and another this year. My Topaz Savannah is 4 years old and has done about 70,000 km.

Last year while coming back from Western Australia I had one cracked rim just coming into Kununurra coming off the Great Northern Highway (bitumen).

This year, it happened on the Nullarbor (another bitumen road), although both times I had travelled on the Gibb River Road as well.

From memory, both rims that cracked just happened to be on the battery side of the Topaz.  A minute crack forms in one of the  welds that holds the spokes onto the rim and tyre pressure decreases by about 1 psi per hour.

I have to replace this latest cracked rim and I'm wondering whether another brand might be the go.  At the moment this cracked rim just has a tube in it as I couldn't get a new rim easily in Port Lincoln, so I just use it as the spare.  The tyre company assured me that I could continue to use this until the tread wears out and then replace the rim when I replace the tyre.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST

Offline Wildmax

• View Profile
Re: Topaz Cracked Rims
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »
Just for info the AOR forum has been posting info for some time about a recall of Landcruiser Dynamic rims.....can't recall all the detail, but relevant owners were contacted and a the Tyre Wise company managed the recall process in collaboration with AOR.
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:10:20 PM »
Were they genuine Landcruiser rims?

Offline Wildmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:28:26 PM »
I don't know, sorry Harry. I was not affected by the recall so didn't chase up any of the details; I just remembered seeing the topic there when it came up as a post on the Track forum. You may be able to glean something by going onto the AOR website or making an inquiry there.
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 07:31:07 AM »
Thanks Wildmax,

You have to own an AOR to be on that site, however I have a friend who is on the site so I will ask him.  The reason I'm interested is because another Topaz owner from WA had cracked Toyota rims, the cracking being around the stud holes.

I'm impressed that AOR did a recall!

Harry