News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Full Annexe

Started by Mark Cauchi, December 17, 2018, 03:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Cauchi

Hi all, I'm seeking advice and experiences about the full annexe that Track Trailer can supply for their Topaz.

Thank you

Harry Lissimore

I've used it a few times, mainly when I set up for a week or two in the one place.  It's a lot more stable than the wind out awning but more time consuming to put up.  The wind out awning instructions say to not use it in windy conditions.

If I'm on the move and only stopping overnight in places, I tend to try to set up with the door facing east so the Topaz will provide shade in the afternoon to the area where the awning would be and for the roll out fridge hence no need to even roll the awning out.

If I'm staying for 24 hours, then I would probably put the roll out awning out.  If it's a little windy, I would not put it fully out.

If it's raining, then I would put the roll out awning out and put the sail out because it helps shelter the roll out BBQ.

The full annex including all the walls is good if others are staying with you - it makes another room, and provides all weather shelter. it is also bigger than the roll out awning - more shelter.

I also bought the complete annex so that the Topaz would be complete for resale.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Mark Cauchi

Thanks for the great advice Harry.

Harry Lissimore

No problem.  I would also like to hear from others as to the benefits of the full annex.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Chuin

I can't speak for a Topaz annexe as I don't have one. I did in theprevious van i owned but in general the same advice as Harry.

I  could count on one hand the number of times I put the full annexe up - even on longer stays. It took up space, added to weight and in the end I left it at home. Funnily enough when i sold the van, the buyer was very pleased to get the annexe as part of the deal.

What i have done for the Topaz is to get light awnings made for the RH side, LH rear and front. I intend to put these up and down to suit. We will see.
2018 Topaz Savannah/2014 Isuzu MU-X

Harry Lissimore

Chuin, what fabric did you use for the light awnings?  Are they waterproof or more like shade cloth?

Did you use sail track and if so, is it the same size ()diameter) as on the roll out awning, where did you get it and how did you fix it to the Topaz.

I have been contemplating some easy sun protection for the top and door of the roll out fridge hatch plus sun protection down the battery side and across the back.

I have installed anti flap poles on the roll out awning which does strengthen it considerably and was wondering about some sidewalls that can attach to the anti flap poles (they has built in sail track).  I can buy or get these sidewalls made up with the right angle for the slope of the awning roof but they are fairly costly.

Harry

Chuin

Harry

The awning materials are a light weight canvas - probably just a step up from shade sail but not by much. It is there mainly for the sun but it is waterproof, light and doesn't take much space when packed. I got sail track fitted on the RH side and front to fit them - it is essentially the same size as the standard Topaz sail awning. I haven't tried to fit them to the awning though (its now on my to do list) - though i have a feeling they may be too big in diameter - i didn't even think about this at the time.

I got them custom made at a local awning place here and yes, it was expensive. I did have a look at some of the off-the-shelf privacy screens for the main awning but haven't found one to suit yet.

Peter
2018 Topaz Savannah/2014 Isuzu MU-X

Harry Lissimore

I have a Coast to Coast  caravan awning brand and the sail runner fits the sail track well.  It would be too small to fit well in the sail track that is on the Topaz.  The screen is about 3.0 M wide and the awning sail track is about 2.9 M wide so there is slight overhang on each end but that doesn't matter, just doesn't look perfect. It's also about as long as the height of the awning when it is out so I can have it hang straight down or peg it angled out to give more room under the awning. I note that a slightly smaller screen is available and that would have suited me better.

Harry