News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Water draining from packed away tent

Started by Mortensen, December 24, 2018, 11:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortensen

When a wet tent is packed away where does the drained water end up ?

Daunted

In the tent until you get home and unpack, clean and dry it.

tastrax

You may also get a small bit of pooled water on the ledge at the back of the van, usually not much.

If its pissing down I usually use that as an excuse to get another book from the library, or another wine from the cellar and stay another day till it fines up!  :D :D
Cheers - Phil

2006 Tvan Tanami (with a few extras)
2010 Isuzu Dmax LS-U

Ray

Quote from: Mortensen on December 24, 2018, 11:57:52 AM
When a wet tent is packed away where does the drained water end up ?

if it is really wet you might find a puddle in the bottom of the fiberglass hatch, I have.
White NT Pajero and 2009 Tvan Sport with custom kitchen

Gumb

2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Cruiser 105Tvan

What evaporates from the canvas spreads/floats into the rest of the stuff in the Tvan.
The run-off either gathers inside the edge of the hatch, or drips from the mesh cover onto the floor of the trailer.
Until you open it up again and dry stuff out.
Simples.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Mortensen

Thank you, my partner wanted to know due to experiences with our current camper.

Cruiser 105Tvan

For the bed to get wet, you have to have a leak over the bed area.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

William_Foster

Quote from: Mortensen on December 28, 2018, 10:33:40 AM
Thank you, my partner wanted to know due to experiences with our current camper.

This is one of the main reasons we spent the money to get a TVan, it deals with wet tents a whole lot better than the competition.  We spent way too many nights after rain or in the tropics with a wet bed; we used to put down a tarp on the mattress but it didn't really work that well.  No such problems in the TVan.  Many people talk about putting the lining in the fibreglass shell that the tent packs away into to stop moisture building up, but we were worried this would just become a mouldy mess over time so just wipe around the edges when we set-up the next night after a move.  But as people have said, just make sure you dry it out properly before you store it away till next trip.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

Monester

If moisture is ia risk despite airing and drying, put a container of DampRid inside and it will soak up all ambient moisture.
Cheers MM
MM
Former lover of a 2006 Tvan Canning
Now inseparable from my 2015 Murranji Tvan

robstevens

Yes - water drains from the wet tent onto the carpet at the back of the van. Also drips onto anything stored in that area.

DampRid is great - once the van is dried out - we use it to keep the air dry in the closed van, stopping mould. But I'd completely dry out the tent first!
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)