News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Topaz 2 Idle current consumption

Started by VK3GJM, January 10, 2019, 09:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VK3GJM

Hi All,

FYI. I put a current meter in series with my battery tonight and discovered that the system with everything off still draw 113mA, although Victron BMS indicates 0.00A, wrongly zeroed and a trap for those who have continued excessive discharge issues.

Although the numbers may sound small, I managed to isolate 81mA of additional current consumption via a voltage stability device from Intervolt, hidden somewhere inside!

http://www.intervolt.com/product/switchmode-voltage-stabilisers/

This device is connected in series with upper light panel near door, it feeds all 6 connected devices to maintain a constant output over a wide input.

That sounds good, but at 81mA/hr over 30 days this is 58 amps (730 watts @12.5 V total ) for the pleasure of not being used and sitting idle out of your battery.

I still do not know where this device is located, will ignore. I have decided to add a battery isolation switch to open circuit the negative while idle under cover to ensure the battery self discharges at the slowest rate without any device connected over the wide temperature range.

Other devices turned off still shows up 35mA/hr, this is still 25 amps over a 30 day period.

Savannah Scout.
Discovery 4, 3.0ltr 8 speed, fitted out for long range touring. Fitted with Codan Envoy X2 HF & 9350 Autotune Antenna, VHF/UHF all mode.

VK3GJM

Hi All,

Completed the installation of a battery isolation switch, switching negative.

By isolating the battery while in storage, it should now self discharge at less then 3% month rather than 33%/month from the Topaz idle current in my case of approx. 200mA while under cover covered.

the switch is nicely resessed and easy access.

Cheers
Savannah Scout.
Discovery 4, 3.0ltr 8 speed, fitted out for long range touring. Fitted with Codan Envoy X2 HF & 9350 Autotune Antenna, VHF/UHF all mode.

Harry Lissimore

Quote from: VK3GJM on January 10, 2019, 09:29:08 PM

I still do not know where this device is located, will ignore.

In my Topaz, That voltage stabilizer is located behind the speaker in the corner on the door side.  In the dark you can also see a faint blue almost ultraviolet glow coming from the corner.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

VK3GJM

Hi Harry,

Thanks for that, common sense having it close to the switch panel it feeds. will take a look next time I am doing something on the van.

Cheers

Savannah Scout.

VK3GJM

Hi All,

10 days in with isolation switch in off position and the Enerdrive 200a/h LiFePo4 is still at 100% SOC. Normally after 10 days it would be around 96-95% SOC while indoor under cover.

Regards

Gerald

Savannah Scout.

VK3GJM

Hi All,

Another 9 days on, with the van stored under cover in some extreme temperatures, Battery state of charge while fully isolated is still 99%.

Based on these values, leaving the van secured under cover for months with no energy input will not result in significant decline in battery SOC to a point where they can be damaged. However leaving any battery open for long periods isn't ideal either.

For those who may be looking at Lithium technology, the Enerdrive range of LiFePo4 has BMS access via bluetooth even while the battery is isolated.

I have no affiliation with Enerdrive. Do like a good product that is fit for purpose.

Regards

Gerald

Savannah Scout.