News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Hub Size

Started by Kimcam, January 21, 2019, 10:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimcam

Hi everyone,

I own a Prado which runs 6 stud 17" wheels. Looking at purchasing a secondhand Tvan, and I see some Tvans for sale that are listed with 6 stud, 16" wheels.

Does anyone know if you can simply change a 16" wheel to a 17" wheel - or is there more involved?

Thanks

Cam

madmax

I changed our 16" wheels over to 17" Prado alloy rim, for wheel compatibility. I also changed the studs over to M12 x 1.5, to accomodate the Prado wheel nuts. You will need to consider the rim offset, and stud pcd. The std Prado is ET+25, and pcd 139.7. You will need to make sure Tvan axle stub is of a suitable length, and the hub has the correct pcd. I happened to be lucky, as everything fitted well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimcam

Ok, thanks for that. Might just have to try one and see if it fits ....

Cruiser 105Tvan

You have to be sure the centre hole in the wheel is a snug fit as well.
Some Mitsubishi wheels the centre hub hole is too small for Tvans and the wheel has to be made or altered.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

vk5cp

IN SA pop into SA Trailers at Cavan, they have all knowledge and the parts to assist.

The early Tvans ( mine is a Mk2) used hubs from a Melb manufacturer who is out of business now. I replaced them with ALKO hubs (holden commodore pattern to suit my Landrover, replaced the studs with Landrover studs, mounted  them and fitted some new brakes, bearing and electric brake magnet actuator and bearings. about $500 all up.

Phil G

There is more involved!!
Stud pattern is fine.  Wheel centre hole diameter is fine
No probs moving to 17" as long as the tyre load index is greater than that shown on the placard.

Wheel offset.  The standard Tvan axles are made for zero offset wheels (axle is 130mm)  You can specify the Prado offset axles when ordering new (axle length 160mm).  But if buying second hand, it is a bit or an ordeal (and great cost) to change the axles.
Stud threads:  Used to be metric threads but they are now coming out with 1/2" studs.  If they are Alko hubs with 1/2" studs then you will not be able to use the toyota flanged mag wheel nuts to fit a Prado mag.  But steel wheels will be OK.  The studs are also longer than the Toyota studs, which can affect some closed wheel nuts.

It is sometimes more trouble than it is worth. 
You can always have tyre compatibility by buying 17" wheels that are correct offset for the Tvan and fitting tyres that are correct for the Prado.  And you can fit a 17" zero offset 6 stud wheel to a Prado if you had to.   

If the TVan were to come with 5 stud hubs, you'd need to change the brake drums, provided there are no issues with offset.
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Kimcam

So my new (to me) Tvan has 16" rims, six stud, with steel wheels. The Prado has 17" rims, six stud, with alloys.

So I have got a spare set of the nuts for the alloys (flanged mag wheel nuts), and a set of the standard taper nuts for the steelies, in the hope that this would make the wheels / tyres interchangeable.

Tyres on the Prado are 265/70R17, and on the Tvan are 265/75R16 which according to my calculations have a very similar diameter, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Just need to confirm that the studs and nuts are compatible (ie metric), and not too long on the Tvan for the mag (closed) nuts. I shall attempt a swap to see if it all works .....

Cam

peter_mcc

Quote from: Kimcam on April 05, 2019, 09:13:40 AMSo I have got a spare set of the nuts for the alloys (flanged mag wheel nuts), and a set of the standard taper nuts for the steelies, in the hope that this would make the wheels / tyres interchangeable.

Just need to confirm that the studs and nuts are compatible (ie metric), and not too long on the Tvan for the mag (closed) nuts.

I suspect that the hubs/steel nuts will be imperial rather than metric. That could be ok if you have a set of imperial alloy wheel nuts that suit Prado wheels. Otherwise you can take the brake drum/hub off and replace the studs with metric ones so you can use standard Prado wheel nuts. If you do that make sure you carry a set of spare studs - it's hard to find the right metric studs in stock in Sydney, harder in Alice Springs or Cairns and I imagine impossible if you're off the beaten track a bit more...

MYT150

Cam,

The rolling size won;t be the issue, the issue will be trying to put a 16" rim on the Prado, if that is what you are thinking of doing as a spare, as the brakes will be in the way and rub on the rim, if it fits at all.

Aidan
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Frankrhona

Hi Cam,
I can not help you with any of your Prado questions, but I can talk about running different wheel sizes. We purchased a MkII Canning with 6 stud 15" wheels and tow it with a Patrol with 6 stud 16" wheels, both with the same pcd and minimal offset.
Now I had 9x16" Patrol wheels and tyres and the 3x15" Tvan tyres were in good condition and I wanted to use them. So: I always run with 5 x 16" on the Patrol. However for short trips/low risk of punctures I have 3 x 15" on the Tvan. For medium trips I have 2x15" on the Tvan and 1x16" as the spare. This gives me 2 spares for the patrol. You will never notice the difference if you run two different rolling diameters on the Tvan. One wheel will rotate slightly faster than the other and as they are completely independent it makes no difference. On long trips we run 16" all round.

So what if you needed to run different rolling radius wheels on a 4WD? Not much I suspect. When driving in a straight line the diff would be turning as if you you were going around a very slight bend. Not even a problem with lockers considering you only use them at low speed and with plenty of wheel slip.
Cheer,
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan