News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

BBQ brands, where to use/store, gas bottle/bayonet for Tvan

Started by johnpaine137, January 28, 2019, 10:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpaine137

Well the heading says it all. New Tvan arriving soon. Normally cook a lot on BBQ. the question is where do you locate during cooking. Do you carry an extra gas bottle or hookup into main system with a bayonet fitting, (where is bayonet fitting located)
best bbq to using, mainly grill on plate so no need for weber baby Q
Pictures would be great

Gumb

You need to stop grilling on a plate and BBQ properly on a grill.

A Weber Q will grill and roast, which a flat plate can't do and there's a very good reason they are the number one choice for camping or caravanning.

I have a Charbroil Grill2Go which can use gas from your bottles or a disposable canister. That means you can move it away from the wind when you need to and are not restricted to being a couple of meters from the van. Available at BCF and other place, at around $220. 

It fits perfectly in the front box with the porta loo.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

William_Foster

We have a Weber Baby Q (the high roof line model with the temperature gauge) that fits nicely in the driver side slide on our 2018 Tvan Scout.  We have been using a seperate bottle stored on the roof of the 4wd, but we will ditch that from now on as the spare gas bottle in the front of the Tvan is easy to remove and use like normal on the Weber, and saves taking three gas bottles away; they are just ratchet strapped in, so just undo the strap on the spare one and away you go.

Originally I was hoping to hook up a quick connect fitting the Weber, but after hearing the warning from multiple gas fitters I have decided to stick with the standard bayonet into the gas bottle.  You can fit a quick connect fitting, but all licensed people won't touch it because it is not meant for non-fixed connections.

We use the Weber Large Casserole Dish and Fry Pan (Reference: https://www.weberbbq.com.au/weber-accessories/q-ware-large-casserole-frying-pan-pack/) on the Tvan stove and on the Weber, it stores away nicely with the removable handles and is a good size.  Also the pizza stone for the Weber is great, really easy to use and makes good camping pizzas.

Hope this helps.

2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

Trex

You can also get a solid half-plate for the weber so you can grill and fry. We use one a lot as you can't easily cook eggs on a grill and it seems pointless to use a frypan on a bbq. There is also threads on this forum of people putting the same gas quick connect on the weber as used on the tvan stove - rectus 21 I think they call them.
Landcruiser 100 (HDJ100) towing 2005 TVAN Murranji

hulbyw

If you mainly grill on a plate you don't need a bbq. Just use a griddle pan on the stove.
We regularly bbq so have a babyQ which I put on an aluminium table (packs away in a bag) at the front of the Tvan and connect up using the bayonnet fitting to the spare Tvan bottle. That is easy plus you can still use the gas stove if necessary at the same time as the bbq. The only downside is that by using the spare Tvan gas bottle for the bbq, your spare bottle does become depleted so you need to keep a track of the amount of gas in the spare bottle so that you can actually use it as a spare if the kitchen stove bottle runs out (we use an ultrasonic gas gauge)
Cheers

johnpaine137

Thankyou for the answers so far, It is always and area where we all do different setups. Any other opinions setups. pictures
John

Shaker

To be honest, it's got me beat why so many people are happy with bbqs that don't generate enough enough heat to cook without the lid closed. I tried a Weber Baby Q & hated it.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Harry Lissimore

So what's your answer Shaker?

We love our baby Q.  Take it everywhere that's close to home, otherwise we just make do with the Bushman roll out BBQ that comes with the Topaz.

H
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Gumb

Quote from: Shaker on January 29, 2019, 09:19:09 PM
To be honest, it's got me beat why so many people are happy with bbqs that don't generate enough enough heat to cook without the lid closed. I tried a Weber Baby Q & hated it.
Now that's funny. They do and you have completely missed the point of lid down cooking. Don't blame the tools mate, you aren't doing it properly.

In fact, my Ziggy portable (similar to the baby Q) almost gets too hot for roasting, so I've got an extra control valve on it for that so it can sit at 200c all day. When grilling it would eat any flat top for breakfast.

2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Colin Wendy

Having used a Baby Q and was unhappy with the heat output. we went with the Ziegler & Brown Ziggy and bag for Transporting.
Does a great job with pizza as it can told 200 degree all day, hot enough to cook steak with lid open however I still have the option of closing the lid if we want to roast. We carry it on the rear floor of the Tvan where the tent holds it in place.
P.S. For those interested for our favourite white pizza. we carry a  s/s bowl, pkt of pizza flour, pkt yeast, potatoes, couple of rosemary sticks, olives & cheese plus some greaseproof paper for use on the pizza stone to save cleaning.

Young Nomads

Quote from: Trex on January 29, 2019, 01:21:21 PM
You can also get a solid half-plate for the weber so you can grill and fry. We use one a lot as you can't easily cook eggs on a grill and it seems pointless to use a frypan on a bbq. There is also threads on this forum of people putting the same gas quick connect on the weber as used on the tvan stove - rectus 21 I think they call them.

The weber pans are great..use them on the stove, fire or weber (of course)..easier to use and lighter than a hotplate.
We keep ours in a plastic tub, in the back of the tojo. Remove the grill plates for travel, so they don't chatter as you drive.
We use our gas bottle on the TVan. ..no bayonette
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

shawnat

I picked up a set of cast iron pans one round perfect for omelets or bacon eggs. The larger we BBQ our meat in all on the stove. Set of 3 cost $5 at a recycle centre they were rusty but scrubbed up well.
Saves space in the TVan for other things.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Shaker

Quote from: Gumb on January 29, 2019, 11:20:28 PM
Now that's funny. They do and you have completely missed the point of lid down cooking. Don't blame the tools mate, you aren't doing it properly.

In fact, my Ziggy portable (similar to the baby Q) almost gets too hot for roasting, so I've got an extra control valve on it for that so it can sit at 200c all day. When grilling it would eat any flat top for breakfast.

As a later post indicates, I am not the only one that thinks Weber Baby Qs are over rated. They are happy with their Ziegler & Brown as are you.
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

Young Nomads

Quote from: Shaker on January 29, 2019, 09:19:09 PM
The design of the Q is for quick, gas efficiency and temperature retention (lid down..stop opening the lid and only turn grilled food once!)
Not wishing to sound sexist...but..some men can't leave the thing alone and have to open the lid to turn the food all the time.
Weber pans are EXCELLENT..yes expensive, but they are dual purpose..they take up less room on the grill and you can use them on the TVan stove or even next to an open fire (handle removed of course).
I've made bags for them to protect the Teflon surface from getting scratched up. They fit in anywhere as they won't get scratched.
We use our Q for everything. Roast Duck on the Sandy Blight Junction Rd. We remove 1 gas bottle and move the q where we need it.
When transporting the q..just remove the grll bars and wrap them in cardboard, separate from the Q. Stops them rattling and damaging the aluminium grill, resting points .
We transport ours in a solid plastic box in the back of the car. It's big enough to hold everything we need. It is also in a canvas (waterproof) carry bag which protects it and keeps in any smell there may be. Just remove the tray too and leave it clean.
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Alan Loy

This is much discussed but it seems simple to me.  If you like to cook with the lid up, turning the food frequently etc. then DO NOT buy a Weber.  Their literature makes this very plain.

If you cook with the lid down then a Weber is worth consideration.

Personally I like my Weber.