Author Topic: Merrit plugs failing  (Read 867 times)

Offline Mal.W

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Merrit plugs failing
« on: February 24, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »
Hi all

Does anyone know if the merrit plugs on the outside of a mk4 are fused. I am down to one only. The one next to the hand pump. The first to go was the one on top of the fridge box, then the one next to the 240V plug. The latest casualty is the one in the kitchen. I am at a loss because I have removed the cover on the back of the wheel arch inside and RHS battery box lid and no fuses. I would think they would be controlled by the same or maybe 2 fuses. Any help would be appreciated
Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji

Offline Pete and Lez

• View Profile
Re: Merrit plugs failing
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
I am sure they would be fused somewhere, on our MK11 there is a single 40A fuse just near the battery. Can you follow the cable from the battery? Fuse should be very close to battery. Good luck.

Cheers
2015 76 Landcruiser GXL
2007 MK11 TVan Tanami

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 06:28:01 PM »
There is a panel that runs down at an angle under the window on the drivers side (inside the van) held on with 2 screws. Try removing that as there may be a plug come loose under that panel. Happened to us. As far as I know the merrit sockets are fused by re setting circuit breakers which are in the power console.
Cheers

Offline Shmang

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 10:01:30 PM »
Hi Mal,

From memory the Merit plugs (The actual plug on the device, not the socket) have a fuse build in.
If you haven't checked it already it might be worthwhile having a look, particularly if it's the same device you are testing the sockets with.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Chris

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline MarkA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
The switch panel also has fuses located next to the switch, at least they do in the MKIII.
Landcruiser 76 wagon
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

Offline mal1958

• View Profile
Merrit plugs failing
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
Hi,
I would be concerned with the fact that so many merit plugs no longer work.   

What has been plugged into them to either blow the fuse, trip the circuit breakers or damage the socket ?

Cheers,
Mal L
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 11:13:40 AM by mal1958 »

Offline Frankrhona

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 06:16:03 PM »
Hi Mal,
I have a MkII so may not be much help. This is what I have:
1. None of my merit plugs are fused. Just one fuse for everything.
2. The power wiring tends to be in a daisy chain. From one plug to the next to the next. Which could explain why you have 2 or 3 plugs not working.
3. The one at the Hand pump has a wire run from the powerbox overhead in the tray under the hatch hinge and down behind the radio.
4. The one near the kitchen runs around the bedhead to the kitchen then on to the kitchen drawer. So I suspect the plugs in the front box are daisy chained to the kitchen plug.
5. All the power to the merit plugs have push on spade connectors with liberal amounts of silicone to hold them on. One may have come loose, but usually the daisy chain wires are soldered to the spade connector, so this should only affect one plug.
I suspect you have a broken wire at a joint and need to trace it back. You could test the positive and negative terminals on the plug to see if one or both wires are disconnected.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

Offline Mal.W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 09:55:22 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.
The kitchen merit I disconnected when I had issues with the water hose springing leaks so I removed the hose and disconnected the wiring connected tomthe hose thinking it was a 12volt supply for the tap.
I have removed the wires from the merit on topmof the front box and tested, still no good so can’t be the plug.
I have been underneath but can’t see anything out of place.
I believe there are resettable cb’s in the control module, but will wait until we get back to Melbourne in early April to investigate further.
Thanks again
Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 07:11:40 PM »
Your right about the CB's in the control panel.
And check in where the Battery lives too.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R, 2009 Canning MkII. pushing.
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, in the works.

Offline Gumb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 08:06:06 PM »
It probably doesn't help but I run a shower pump off the merit next to the 240v input and a merit extension from the one on top of the front box back to the car to run the fridge when camped. No issues in 20k of travelling so it must be a problem unique to your van or something you are using.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Offline William_Foster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:26 PM »
We have a Mk5 TVan, but the problem sounds familiar to the issue we were having.  Ended up being three issues in the same cable to the fridge, all other merit sockets were working fine.  Two problems in the cable were related to poor connections, one at the fridge box and one under the TVan, and the last issue was a loose circuit breaker in the control panel.  The way the electrician resolved the issue was breaking the connection at each point down the line to measure the voltage, I have since bought a voltage meter so I can do that myself if it happens again.  Hopefully your issue turns out to be something simple.

Offline Young Nomads

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:57 PM »
There is a panel that runs down at an angle under the window on the drivers side (inside the van) held on with 2 screws. Try removing that as there may be a plug come loose under that panel. Happened to us. As far as I know the merrit sockets are fused by re setting circuit breakers which are in the power console.
Cheers

Removed the "resetting circuit breakers" and replaced them with new plastic ones. The metal ones arced out!
John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 08:53:22 AM »
While on Merit plugs, this is probably unrelated to your problem but I had a faulty merit socket on our Topaz.  I noticed that the ARB fridge plug became distorted and had to replace it.  A year or two later while chasing a battery failing issue, I noticed that the ARB fridge merit plug got extremely hot (that's why the previous plug became distorted) and voltage was dropping to the fridge, and after much investigation I discovered the merit socket to be faulty.  The earth pin was loosely connected to the earth of the socket causing a bad connection and heat generation.

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST