Main Menu

Postie Bike on Drawer Bar

Started by Digger, February 11, 2019, 05:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Digger

Hi All
Looking into the Tvan , and was wondering if it is possible to carry a
postie Bike on the drawer bar.
Was thinking of mounting a bracket and remove the gas and spare to help out with weight.
Any input would greatly appreciated and happy to know if dreaming  ::) 

MarkA

I'd say if you're happy to do without the front box it would be no problem at all. With the fron box weight on the drawbar might be the killer.
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

Gumb

You'd need to check the current ball weight and then see if you have any leeway to add the weight of the bike before you exceed what your tow vehicle will allow.

I doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

wrose

What does a postie bike weigh?
I have an ISI bike rack that carries 4 mountain bikes, if that helps
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

Forumwatcher

The Postie bike weighs around 87-92kg.
Troopy with 2010 TVan

Cruiser 105Tvan

They do have bikes now with electric motors, you don't have to have one with a petrol motor.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Jerika

Hi Wrose

I'm interested in how you have your ISI bike carrier setup?  We have just purchased two electric mountain bikes. Absolutely awesome machines, just haven't figured out how to carry them on our MKIII Murranji.

I hadn't heard of ISI bike racks before reading your post.  I just looked them up and like what I see.  What style of ISI bike rack do you have and how is it fitted to your Tvan? Could you post a picture. I figure if you can carry 4 mountain bikes they should be strong enough to carry our two e-mountain bikes which weigh in at 23kg each with the batteries removed.
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

peter_mcc

Some ideas from the ISI website. They're fantastic to deal with.

http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/ti/tvan-bike-rack.html
http://www.isi-carriers.com/customers/eg/tvan-bike-rack.html

I've just made up a mount like the first one - large flat plate - but have it further back so the 4 bikes go over the front box (no spare tyre - I have the same wheels as the car). It flexes a bit so I'm looking to change the design a bit - give it a month or so and I should have it sorted.

The only issue for you might be lifting the bikes up - they are a fair way above the ground. But the rack is super easy to use, especially if you have 2 people. The bike sits in the loops happily with someone balancing it upright while the second person passes the vertical pole/hook up to hold in place properly. If there is only one of you then you have to be a bit more prepared, leaving the pole/hook where you can reach it (not hard, just needs some planning!).

William_Foster

Digger, sorry I don't have a solution for you but just wondering how you are going to get the bike up there? I am assuming some ramps onto the drawbar but wasn't sure if you were hoping to have it lifted higher than that on a stand. Noting that I am not an engineer, I was wondering about the potential pendulum effect and associated component wear from having a lifted bike on a drawer bar mounted stand, especially on corrugations.

Not trying to talk you out of it, I am just interested.  I have always wondered about towball mounted postie bikes when I have seen them on the road and wasn't sure how well they lasted.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

Nifty

We mounted an ISI rack on top of the frame in place of the spare wheel. It makes it easy to lift the bikes up and down single-handed, and might be a solution for an electric bike although lifting a Postie might be too big an ask. Theres no flex or vibration issues, the bikes sit relatively low down and out of the worst of the dust and flying gravel, and I can still get to the jerry cans etc. The rack is held on by just two bolts and as long as I remember to take the rest of the ISI tongue with me, can be attached to the car so we can do day trips with the bikes. It's my first attempt to attach a picture.....

mal1958

I know it is off topic, but I do admire the vinyl wrap print that Track did on that version of Tvan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk