News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

CANNING AND TVAN PULLED BY BT 50 3.2 DIESEL 2012

Started by LesK1200s, March 19, 2019, 09:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LesK1200s

CANNING STOCK ROUTE
I am doing the Canning at the end of July this year from Willuna to Halls Creek. I have a Mk4 Murranji pulled by a 2012 BT50 3.2 diesel. I had intended taking the van but am very nervous about it having recently been stuck on a beach out of Robe bogged to the diffs for a day and a half. Van was sitting up but rear end of BT down with weight in back of tray and ball weight. I have read a few posts of people who have pulled their vans through with no problems but have not heard of any who have experienced difficulty. Most who have done it have been pulling it with a V8 diesel Cruiser. Would be great to have on way from Adelaide to Willuna and Halls Creek to Adelaide. My concern is not the Canning per se but the 966 dunes with the load of water and fuel and a Tvan and whether the BT has enough grunt to cross the dunes. I did the Canning 20 years ago in an 80 series no problems but pulling a Tvan with a BT concerns me. Would love to read stories of success and any issues as at this stage I am thinking swag only. All help appreciated.

Pete930

Not being rude there fella but if stuck down at Robe for a day and a half I reckon you may have a few other issues than the tow vehicle.

Problem solving, your experience, equipment you carry to self recover etc may be of more concern.

Obviously not being there we don't know the full details but it's not hard to recover a vehicle then the Tvan if you have a bit of gear, some idea and don't panic when you are doing the recovery.

Maybe do the trip with a group of folk, join a 4wd club etc that you can learn from, do a course etc.

Also when going remote sat phone, carrying spares that will stop the vehicle and having some (ok a lot) of mechanical knowledge is a good way to go

Pete

LesK1200s

No rudeness taken. Have been 4WDing for over 30 years. Have done the Canning Stock Route in an 80 series 20 years ago, have done every major desert in Australia including 3 crossings of the Simpson. Have done Cape York both by car and dirt bike.
Robe entailed running too close to the water line where we were unaware sand was seaweed soft. Lots of ball weight so car unhitched and max traxed out to safer ground. Tvan winched out to a safe area to re hitch and back on track. Decided area further up the coast was not advisable so headed back to where we entered the beach track. Dune we came down to enter the beach created the issue of getting off the beach with no traffic for a day. Van and car too much to pull out up dune. No winch points. Lots of digging and max trax work and slow crawling to get out eventually. No other vehicles to winch off. Lots of experience, lots of recovery gear, good mechanical knowledge and good problem solving skills so no dramas. Just checking with those who have pulled a van through to see how problematic the dunes are with Tvan in tow. Will certainly have Tvan weight reduced, van balanced weight wise to reduce ball weight and rear seats out to ensure weight balance as Robe was predominantly rear axle weight and an exit dune. All good and almost ready to roll.  Les

Patrol Dude

Nice work Les sounds like your got a truck load of experience [emoji106]

Mate 3 of us are doing the CSR at the end of July also (Tvans and brides staying at home - boys trip), as such have spent an inordinate amount of time watching the dozens of CSR Utube clips getting around these days. From what I have observed the sand dunes appear to be a lot smaller than the Simpson and as such several guys have easily towed their campers with no real issues. I suspect with your experience the CSR shouldn't cause you to many dramas. I'll try and find that clip with the guy towing his camper with his BT and post the link for you to watch how he goes.

See you on the track [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

Patrol Dude

Ok found these ones for ya.

https://youtu.be/Ei9nHtssYj8

https://youtu.be/ljIxGKWi7-c

Couldn't find the one I was thinking of, their are just to many to pick from [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

LesK1200s

Thanks Jeff (Patrol Dude). I am meeting a mate at Port Augusta on July 20th as he heads in from Brisbane. We will head across Nullarbor to get to Wiluna and head up from there. Last time took the Beadel tracks through APY Lands (used to work there) and were shaken to bits before we started. I reckon we will hit the CSR around July 26th.
Thanks for the follow up.

Just watched the clips and have added comfort in doing so. Tyre pressure nazi so should be all good. They make it look easy.