News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Need for a shakedown on first trip?

Started by Mortensen, April 02, 2019, 02:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortensen

Hi there,
I am in a quandary, we are set to leave for The Centre in three weeks. Our new SCOUT is ready in the showroom for delivery but my wife is reluctant to take it out on its maiden trip on this upcoming tour of about six weeks duration. Do we take it out or drag our current camper along? We don't have much time to do a shakedown.

Cruiser 105Tvan

Go away for a coupla days before the big trip.
Don't worry so much.
Happy holidays.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

thewelshgang

G'day,
Just take the Tvan away, you've got plenty of time, it took about a year before we resolved all of the issues we had with ours ;)
After that we had years of trouble free touring :) They are an awesome camper......
The Welsh Gang, TVAN Canning MKll, 200 Series Landcruiser, Mods Everywhere ! My No.1 Rule... Always have a trip locked in & one on the go :-)

luke

I'd recommend a shakedown, but even one at home is better than nothing.

I really can't see there being any issues body wise (trailer, suspension, etc), but I'd be checking everything else.

• check that all the electrics work and the batteries charge from both the car and solar/li]
    • check the fridge plug works (crank fridge to freezer and make sure it keeps running)
    • check the plumbing for leaks, clean swarf from tank/lines, and check water is drinkable (probably worth turning over the tank (s) again before the trip)
    • go through all the canvas, poles, ropes, etc
    • check car plug connections (lights and brakes)
    • give the stove a test run

• make sure you've got the manuals for all the equipment your running (a lot of the testing issue can be fixed on the run)

Lastly, you definitely want to take the scout.
    What better way to wear it in, and think about the improvements you want to make to suit your style !
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

Mortensen

Thanks everyone , we are looking forward to our upcoming trip with our new Scout ( we think it must be one of the last built ) we take delivery next week.

William_Foster

x2 for the home based shake down, especially for working out how to get the awning out and back away without issues.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5