News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Replacing Projecta charger

Started by cannond, April 16, 2019, 10:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cannond

The 25amp Projecta charger in our Tvan has died after six years. I am thinking about replacing it with a Victron IP22.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a replacement? This is the second Projecta I have had. The first was replaced under warranty.

Thanks
Dave
Lynn & David
Mk III Canning
Prado 150

Leave no tern unstoned (James Thurber)

robstevens

I've done exactlt that - removed the old Projecta Charger and replaced with a Victron BlueSmart 12V 30A Single Output IP22 Battery Charger.
This works perfectly, also works with lithium batteries (which is why I bought it) and has a bluetooth connection so that an app on the phone can determine battery charging, and change the setup accordingly.

Found on ebay last year for $275.

I'd recommend it.
2017 Mk4 (Firetail)
2019 Landcruiser 200 GXL (4.6 petrol)

cannond

Thanks Rob. I note that the Projecta has a temperature sensor that appears to lead down to the batteries. Do you know the function of this and is it a problem if the Victron doesn't have the same.

Thanks
Dave
Lynn & David
Mk III Canning
Prado 150

Frankrhona

Dave,
Hear is the theory:

"With a temperature sensor, when the battery temperature is high, the battery charger decreases its voltage supply to enable optimum charging. This prevents overheating the battery. At lower temperatures, the battery charger applies a higher voltage to the battery to counter the increased resistance due to low temperature.
The temperature sensor enables the battery charger to charge at required voltage. This increases battery performance as well as cycle life."

Now , it maybe important to have a remote temperature sensor if you have an auxiliary battery mounted next to your turbocharger, (read Nissan Patrol), but it is less of a problem if the charger and battery are in the same environment. I would be very surprised if the Victron charger does not have an internal temperature sensor for this very purpose.
Cheers,
Andrew
Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

cannond

Lynn & David
Mk III Canning
Prado 150