News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Topaz mods

Started by Kevin, June 12, 2019, 01:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Hi all
I've previously owned a TVan and had a few years in the wilderness (so to speak). Currently looking at the possibility of a used Topaz. Is it possible to remove the wardrobe in the older Topaz models to make the bed North/South and still have a single seat either side of the table - i.e. have the bed and dinette in position at the same time.
thanks
Kevin
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

Rob M

These comments relate to the series 2 Topaz.
Anything is possible I guess but there would be several considerations I would take into account.
Moving the table mounting or doing away with the table.
Loss of the storage space of the wardrobe.
The wardrobe houses the control panel for the 240 volt charger
The batteries are under the seat adjacent to the wardrobe and you would want to be able to access them easily after the modification.
The seat adjacent to the wardrobe would have to be moved and mounted.
The seat of the dinette adjacent to the door is one seat for 2 people. You would need to modify or replace.
Access to storage under the bed.
The question that comes out my mind is why you would want to do it and what are the costs in relation to the benefits.
Cheers
Rob
Previously 2009 Tvan Canning and now Topaz Series2 towed by Landcruier 200 series

Chuin

Kevin, it may also depend on how permanent you want it. We have a Topaz with a factory EW bed however we use it as a NS bed. We use 2 milk crates on the floor between the seats and then high density foam on top of that. We pack it away when we travel otherwise leave it up when stationary. we leave the table mounted but this means it gets in the way for the person sleeping on that side - we could take it down but its just another thing to do. Th.e milk crates also provide storage

I am also currently toying with the idea of installing a piece of plywood in place of the milk crates. It would have a hinge on it so that it can be packed away when not in use. Again the foam goes on top of the wood.

Peter
2018 Topaz Savannah/2014 Isuzu MU-X

Kevin

Hmm - food for thought - thanks for that - might have to reconsider something.
Cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

AMW

We have a Topaz Series 2 with EW bed. We have the wardrobe in place. We have two tables - one which I think is from the earlier Topaz that is the very solid base for filling the gap to run bed NS which is very sturdy. We have a foam block and strip to fill the gap and convert bed from QS to KS. It is a 5 minute task to take down the table and mounting pole (that is the trickiest bit), put the foam filler bits in and pull the KS fitted sheet over the whole lot.
In the morning we fold the bedding back, stack up the foam and filler bits. The spare table top  that we use for the base is removed and stored outside or even is put on the bed during the day while we have the dinette in operation.  Again only 5 minutes. If the weather is hot, we could leave the bed NS and eat /live outside.
Have fun! It is great to have such a big comfy bed on holiday!

Mark Cauchi

Quote from: AMW on June 14, 2019, 07:24:45 PM
We have a Topaz Series 2 with EW bed. We have the wardrobe in place. We have two tables - one which I think is from the earlier Topaz that is the very solid base for filling the gap to run bed NS which is very sturdy. We have a foam block and strip to fill the gap and convert bed from QS to KS. It is a 5 minute task to take down the table and mounting pole (that is the trickiest bit), put the foam filler bits in and pull the KS fitted sheet over the whole lot.
In the morning we fold the bedding back, stack up the foam and filler bits. The spare table top  that we use for the base is removed and stored outside or even is put on the bed during the day while we have the dinette in operation.  Again only 5 minutes. If the weather is hot, we could leave the bed NS and eat /live outside.
Have fun! It is great to have such a big comfy bed on holiday!

If it's not to much trouble, I would love to see a photo of your set up as it sounds like a great idea.

Thanks in advance

Mark

AMW

Hi Mark
Our camper is packed away for a bit. Will post when it next comes out

Nomadic

Having done a lot of mods to a Mk1 Topaz myself I wouldn't recommend removing the robe. It would be major surgery and I would go the temporary infill route to get a N/S bed as Peter and AMW suggest.
We have created a 180mm wide storage compartments down each side of the bed (same height as mattress). This is fine for socks, jocks, shirts, rolled up towels etc. iPads, phones, torches etc can sit on the top of this compartment neatly out of the way while sleeping.  The existing table mount is inline with these storage compartments so it doesn't interfere with anyone sleeping on the LHS although our table top is slightly smaller than the standard Topaz table.
I like the N/S bed and the extra storage down the side of the bed it provides. The original seating and swing out table function normally.
Just my thoughts.
Furiously working on our bucket list before time and money runs out.
Allan & Joan
1HD-FT 80 series  & Isuzu NPS 300
2010 Topaz - evolving into a expedition camper.

Kevin

Do you reckon you could put in a lift up bed base on gas struts - a bit like the AOR Odyssey and Rhinomax Renegade?
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

Nomadic

Quote from: Kevin on June 19, 2019, 09:00:14 PM
Do you reckon you could put in a lift up bed base on gas struts - a bit like the AOR Odyssey and Rhinomax Renegade?

We considered a lift up bed as my wife would have liked the extra storage and higher bed. I struggled to see how I could get the bed frame strong enough without adding a lot of extra weight. The table would need to be reconfigured so the lifting bed would clear it. We mocked up a frame the size of a double bed just to see how it would work but it felt too claustrophobic even though we had the benefit of 400mm extra van length. It's all a compromise so we went with just the N/S mattress and side storage cabinets instead
Furiously working on our bucket list before time and money runs out.
Allan & Joan
1HD-FT 80 series  & Isuzu NPS 300
2010 Topaz - evolving into a expedition camper.