News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Generator

Started by Mark Cauchi, June 13, 2019, 03:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Cauchi

Hi all,

Does anyone carry a generator that runs their aircon? I'm looking at buying one, but there is so many on the market.

Thanks

Mark

Gumb

You need a big one to run an aircon, at least 2KW, maybe more. It's not the running which is the problem, it's the extra power required to start it up.

I don't think the extra weight is worth it and a lot of people camping hate generators so expect a bit of flack. 
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Patrol Dude

I bought a Honda handy 3KVa unit - I found the 2KVa just a touch to small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

monktm

What are you running that you need a 3kva?

Gumb

I would guess, as in the topic, an airconditioner  ::)
2015 Pajero NX GLS

monktm

Quote from: Gumb on June 14, 2019, 12:24:59 PM
I would guess, as in the topic, an airconditioner  ::)
So Tvan now has an air con ? [emoji3166]

Mark Cauchi

I have a 2019 Topaz with a Truma aircon, I have since been advised a 2.2kva generator will do the job.

Thanks

Gumb

Quote from: monktm on June 14, 2019, 02:16:37 PM
So Tvan now has an air con ? [emoji3166]
If you check the thread location, we are in the Topaz section. The original poster has a Topaz listed as his camper as well.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

monktm

Quote from: Gumb on June 14, 2019, 03:40:29 PM
If you check the thread location, we are in the Topaz section. The original poster has a Topaz listed as his camper as well.
Ok just that Iam sure patrol dude has a Tvan that's all . That's why I asked why he would need a 3kva

Patrol Dude

Quote from: monktm on June 14, 2019, 05:49:39 PM
Ok just that Iam sure patrol dude has a Tvan that's all . That's why I asked why he would need a 3kva

Hey mate, bought mum a portable aircon to put in the annex for those long trips around Xmas. She doesn't use it a lot but when she does need it, it's their for her. The 2KVa was just a tad to small, the 3KVa handy is just a perfect fit for the front box on the MK111 and easily runs the aircon and any thing else she needs. Cheers

Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

monktm

Quote from: Patrol Dude on June 15, 2019, 06:27:56 AM
Hey mate, bought mum a portable aircon to put in the annex for those long trips around Xmas. She doesn't use it a lot but when she does need it, it's their for her. The 2KVa was just a tad to small, the 3KVa handy is just a perfect fit for the front box on the MK111 and easily runs the aircon and any thing else she needs. Cheers

[emoji106]

Monester

For what it's worth, I run a Truma aircon with a Honda 2kva in a 2015 Tvan. I have zero problems and it gets used most days in central aus for our 6 weeks of December and January hols. As we often find an idyllic spot and stop for a few days we use an external tank to avoid the refill every 7 hours. The 2 Kva is plenty to cope with the flash current demand on start up. Cheers MM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MM
Former lover of a 2006 Tvan Canning
Now inseparable from my 2015 Murranji Tvan

HappyTraveller

It all depends on which aircon you have Mark. I have the cooling only aircon which TT fitted to the Topaz for many years, although I believe in recent times they've started fitting the reverse cycle unit which has a higher output.

The cooling only aircon runs without any problems on my 2kva Yamaha generator, but you would need a bigger generator if you have the reverse cycle aircon, as it draws more power. I've heard the new 2.4kva Honda will handle the higher draw of the reverse cycle aircon.

Andrew
TVan Mk5
Trakmaster Pilbara Extreme
Landcruiser 200

Monester

Hi, I should have mentioned my Truma is reverse cycle and the unit gets an extraordinary amount of use over 6 weeks in extreme heat. I reiterate that my Honda 2kva handles it superbly. The new Honda is 2.2kva if you are concerned.
Regards
MM
MM
Former lover of a 2006 Tvan Canning
Now inseparable from my 2015 Murranji Tvan

Mark Cauchi