Author Topic: Front water tank guard 19kg full of stone and rock  (Read 335 times)

Offline Tin Billy

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Not yet but interested in one
Front water tank guard 19kg full of stone and rock
« on: June 30, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
19kg.......... thats how much compacted bull dust and aggregate stone I just removed from the front water tank guard. It was compacted perfectly around all the pipes and sides of water tank.I vacuumed it out and broke it down carefully with a screwdriver.

The 1 inch gap above the chassis rail cross member between the floor plus the smaller gap between the guard and cross rail straight into the guard are like a dirt/stone "harvester". I'm thinking the stones initially block the drain vents then dirt cant get out so if I can place a cover like the stone stomper material that stops at least the stones that block the drain vents then I could probably just hose out the dirt/dust regularly without having to drop the guard as often.

ALSO.... one of the 3 bolts holding the rear of the water tank was broken .... probably the combination of extra dirt weight and corrugation. I've just replaced all the bolts with 304 stainless M6's but if anybody thinks it should be different material (eg high tensile) then I'm open to advice.

Having just purchased 2007 Canning 6 weeks ago I'm  working my way through some maintenance I'm learning about here and on the forum.... thanks for all the tips and positive attitudes peeps 👍

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Front water tank guard 19kg full of stone and rock
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 02:01:30 PM »
TT used to make a galvanised plate that you can rivet on that closes the gap and markedly reduces the harvester effect. Probably worth a call to ask if they have any and how much. Otherwise you may need to get creative. 
Cheers

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 03:37:05 PM »
Hi, Measure the distance between the chassis rails in front of the tube cross member where the front tank mounts.
get a piece of Gal sheet that long.  The Gal. sheet will need to be 100mm. to 150mm. wide.
Provided the Gal. is 1.5 to 2mm thick, it should do the job.
Fold it to 90Deg.   Drill one side with holes for screws so you can anchor it to the under side of the floor.
When your fitting it the flat with holes is against the floor with the fold close to the round cross member.
Fitted towards the front side of that cross member, so it deflects the stones.
The other half hangs down as close to the round cross member as possible.
Seal between the Gal and the floor with Sikaflex or a polyurethane sealer, maybe even Selley's roof and gutter sealant(NEUTRAL CURE ONLY).
Keep in mind, the screws will need to be short, 15mm will probably poke through inside the trailer.
The screws will also need to be a course thread so they get a good grip in the plywood floor too.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R, 2009 Canning MkII. pushing.
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, being run in.

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 02:39:55 AM »
Looks like I needed to clarify/include for the fold in the Gal. sheet.
It needs to be along the sheet, so it's folded in half like angle iron.
It also needs to be a neat fit between the chassis rails.
Where the water tank enclosure fits behind the round cross member, there's a big gap between the member and the floor.
As well as a gap where the enclosure sits up against the floor where gravel/rocks are funnelled into the water tank enclosure.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R, 2009 Canning MkII. pushing.
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, being run in.