News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tow vehicle recommendation

Started by RAR110, July 28, 2019, 06:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAR110

Thanks. I love the diesel V8, such a nice configuration.

Has anyone had experience with the Toyota 2.8?
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Marora

I've got the 2.8 in my 2016 GXL Prado towing a series 3 Topaz and are very happy with the set up. We've just come back from our first major trip with the  Topaz (up to to Cape York) and the Prado was faultless over the 12,000km journey. No issues towing the Topaz at 110km all day on bitumen if you are in a hurry (avg 18l/100kms) or 70-80kms on dirt (avg 15l/100kms). I've now done 90,000kms in the Prado and about 40,000 have been outback touring (we had an ultimate camper trailer before the Topaz) and aside from a MAF sensor issue after a service it's been faultless. And when I did have that issue i went straight to the local Toyota people who fixed it no fuss. You won't beat a Toyota for reliability or ease of service/repair in remote Australia. If you've got the $ then the 200 series is clearly the best tow vehicle around BUT it's a very big car, costs a lot and chews the juice and has its challenges around town if you've got tight parking. The Prado is a lot cheaper at just over $60k and is fantastic around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAR110

Thanks for the feedback on your Prado.

Prado size appeals as in a few years it will only be two of us touring. So won't need the size of a 200 series, if something smaller will tow well. 4 cyl rego and that size around town also appeals.

I think a 6 speed in an auto is also what I want. I have driven the new Prado. I thought it was ok but nothing to get excited about, but have read less than flatering reports on the Prado 6 speed. Any adverse observations on the auto box from long term ownership? I guess I was comparing it to the ZF 6hp26 which is nice.

Marora

The six speed auto is fine when not towing but once you tow you are limited to effectively a 4 speed box as you need to tow in 4 sports mode - so effectively it becomes a 4 speed box for towing purposes. The mileage figures I gave you are all based on this mode of towing. I've read reports of people towing in full auto mode without any issues but Toyota expressly advise against this. 

monktm

RAR110

Quote from: monktm on July 31, 2019, 07:02:50 AM
https://www.caradvice.com.au/727735/2019-nissan-patrol-ti-l-v-toyota-landcruiser-gxl-comparison/?source=trending&slot=2

Cruiser and patrol same on fuel will surprise a lot of people . Read the full report
Thanks, that's an interesting read.

I'm blown away by the price of used 6 year old 200 series.

monktm

RAR110

Thanks, yes I did read that. So it sounds like the 2019 model Prado is ok.

three1four2

Quote from: RAR110 on July 28, 2019, 07:44:40 PM
Good point. I have a 2008 Range Rover Vogue 3.6 tdv8. But it has nearly 300k km and age related mechanical issues are starting to show. I love it. Fantastic on and off road driving experience. It will be difficult transitioning to something else. But I won't be buying a bear new $90k car.  Also, terrible mechanical support if a breakdown happens.
Agree re transitioning!  Currently towing Topaz 2 with Disco 4 (poverty pack - 2.7l), and looking at "what's next", and struggling :)
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

RAR110

The new Defender is due for release in a mth or so, but will probably be too much for me new. Also, no regional/remote support if something goes pop.

The extent that workshops simply won't touch anything outside the mainstream was rammed home recently when I broke down outside Roma. Couldn't get anyone in Roma to look at it.

Jim and Lyn

Gday,
I've been very interested reading about overweight towing combinations and the implied likelihood of significant changes in the not too distant future of what and how we will tow as a result.
In buying a replacement tug I'd be putting a bit of thought into the the realities of what you'll be towing, what you want to carry, how you want carry it and then make a decision based around some of that maths.
There are some very dodgy vehicle and van specifications around which allow for very little leeway to add weight to either in the real (and legally enforceable world). Gone will be the days of the tinny on the roof and the motor on the wheel carrier with a motorbike on the drawbar!!
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

RAR110

Thanks Jim, some very good points there. Someone earlier also mentioned weight/carrying capacity on top of 4 adults and full tank of fuel. Weight on the towbar also eats away at capacity.

I did a trip from Cooktown to the Cape with a tinny on the roof and motor on bull bar. It worked out ok but never again.

monktm

Iam not a fan of what Iam towing weighing more than the tow vehicle. Plus 4 cyl diesels is to small to tow heavy weights . And as diesel emissions in this country get harder to meet the old diesels are slowly fading out . I here even the new cruiser will be a turbo 6 cyl diesel . Look at the ford raptor 2 ltr bi turbo no thanks . And that's 80 grand plus .

RAR110

Thanks. I agree. I can't see us towing anything near 3 tonne.

RAR110

RACQ released their comparison of vehicle running costs over 5 years. It indicates the 200 LC petrol v8 was cheaper over 5 years than the TDV8.