News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tow vehicle recommendation

Started by RAR110, July 28, 2019, 06:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

We've been contemplating a new vehicle for a while, but were struggling to decide until pulling the trigger on a prado last week. So I thought i'd add my 2 cents to the thread  ;)

We were only looking at the mid-sized wagons (3 kids), and it was really only between the MU-X and Prado.  Unfortunately with our last vehicle coming to an untimely demise, the Prado won due to the current sales and better support for a few third party accessories.

Everest
Nice to drive and all the mod-cons, though the new bi-turbo hasn't been getting the best reviews for towing. (Surely ford will fix this in the ECU pretty soon)
The main concern regarding the Everest was all the smarts (I know, they all have it now) including the center-diff being a computer controlled clutch.

The main killer was lack of accessories, and currently no GVM upgrade or long range tanks.  There's also no room under bonnet for a battery or compressor, and I wasn't overly keen on needing ad-blue in whoop-whoop.

fortuner
No GVM upgrade, but two options for the fuel tank being either a full replacement or aux tank above the spare.
My main problem with the fortuner is by the time you've spend the money you may as well get a prado.

MU-X
I still think these are probably the best mid range 4wd on the market.  More honest, less that can go wrong, and GVM and long range tanks available (both full replacement or aux), though the roof rating is fairly low at ~60kg.
No locker as standard (everything else does) but easy enough to get either an air or e-locker, but can't fit the compressor or battery under bonnet either.
(I' not so sure the next version will be as robust)

Prado
Prado was always the default, but I was really hoping the flat tail gate would lift up. Alas even after you lose the long range tank, it's still a barn door (So why would you ?).  Prado's (and the 1GD in the hilux/fortuner) are also having various problems with the DPF and air filters.
There's two fixes for the DPF's (manual switch, and re-map of ECU) but we'll mostly be doing longer drives in it anyway, and I'll try a couple of things with the air filters.

At the end of the day, the Prado has the worst infotainment unit, shortest service interval (6 months), and a few concerns around water and electronics, so the thing better last . . . .

Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

Gumb

The manual DPF is a work around for a basic flaw in the vehicle which Toyota won't acknowledge. Add air filter problems with breakdowns in remote areas and that's enough for me to avoid them.

Having said that, good luck with yous, I sincerely hope it doesn't let you down.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

RAR110

Thanks for the feedback Luke. I'm pretty keen on permanent 4WD for relatively heavy high vehicle, which cuts out some options.

With the problems makers are having with meeting emissions standards, in starting to consider petrol options. Although it's hard to go past the amazing torque diesel delivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Ray

FWIW I chose a 2010 Pajero over a Prado for these reasons:
- stronger engine and well tested drivetrain
- no dpf (later models do have DPF)
- selectable full time 4wd
- very good reliability record
- excellent reviews from owners
- no air filter, injector problems
- cheaper to buy as well

So far at 226,000km's it has worked extremely well, we have replaced rear wheel bearings and one cv cover so far apart from usual maintenance and suspension upgrades.

Ray
White NT Pajero and 2009 Tvan Sport with custom kitchen

luke

Quote from: Gumb on November 09, 2019, 07:16:50 PM
The manual DPF is a work around for a basic flaw in the vehicle which Toyota won't acknowledge. Add air filter problems with breakdowns in remote areas and that's enough for me to avoid them.

I agree that the DPF is a problem, I'm just hoping that with the type of driving we do we won't have as many issues as the city drivers. (I'm not sure we'll escape them entirely though)

The air filters are a problem.  If it fowls the MAF sensor and the car goes into limp mode, it's easy enough (though inconvenient) to fix, I'm more concerned about the long term damage the dust could cause. (I'm hoping either a snorkel pre-filter or better seal on the filter will help, but it's more suck it and see while toyota keeps their head in the sand.)

Going forward I can't see how things are going to get better.  The regulations are only going to get tighter, and all the vehicles will have DPF's, ad-blue, and whatever else is needed.

Regarding remote areas, any breakdown will quickly ruin your travel plans, but when we started looking at the number of for dealerships and locations, we were pretty surprised how many and where they were.  If you start counting the isuzu truck shops, then they've got things covered as well.
Unfortunately I'm not sure how much the corner tire store will be able to diagnose / fix on these vehicles, but that goes for most of them.

A bit of context probably helps.  Our current (dead) touring vehicle is a 2005 Mitsubishi challenger. The car has been fantastic over the last 14 years, but was never up for the punishment we put it through. We always had issues trying to get accessories which led to a lot of custom gear, and it didn't matter where we were, Mitsubishi always pushed back when we were trying to get extra service work (but that's another story).  We also got caught out on a number of occasions when something had broken, but it was just different enough that it would need to be freighted in.

This time around we were looking for off the shelf accessories, and something that it's hopefully easier to get basic parts for when touring.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

Gumb

I agree completely about the availability of parts for Toyotas when compared with other brands. It's definitely one thing to consider if you're traveling outback or in remote areas.

Quote from: Ray on November 09, 2019, 09:27:44 PM
FWIW I chose a 2010 Pajero over a Prado for these reasons:
- stronger engine and well tested drivetrain
- no dpf (later models do have DPF)
- selectable full time 4wd

Yes, they did have a DPF in earlier models and one in particular had heaps of issues. They deleted it until the late 2016 NX model and the Euro emissions requirements meant that it had to go back in. So far I haven't heard of any issues like Toyota have had but there are people buying second hand Pajeros specifically looking for one without a DPF, just to be sure.

Full time 4WD is really AWD. I never consider I'm in 4WD until I've locked the transfer case. What I love about the Paj is that it can run in 2WD, AWD, 4WD High and 4WD Low, plus the diff lock which is now standard. Bloody good truck and has never let me down, except for a dead starter battery.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Marora

We've done just over 95k with our 2016 Prado of which about half has been outback touring with a van - currently a Topaz. We've had no DPF issues other than the 'burn' light coming on regularly! However we have suffered  two limp mode scenarios with dust impacting the MAF. Fortunately we've been able to clean and reset relatively painlessly with Toyota dealership assistance. Before our next trip I am going to invest in my own OBD2 tool so I can reset the code myself after cleaning the MAF and keeping trucking.

Gumb

I'd suggest an Ultra Gauge, which is what I have to monitor things like transmission temperatures in particular. That will clear the codes easily.

There are cheaper options like the Torque Pro app and a cheap ebay OBII plug but when playing with codes, I prefer to have a more reliable unit.
2015 Pajero NX GLS

monktm

luke

Quote from: monktm on November 10, 2019, 12:07:12 PM
Scan gauge works well also .

I hope so. I've got one of those on the way, and a bottle of MAF cleaner ready to go on the bench so I can keep the new car running . . . .  :o
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

RAR110

Does a Prado have a MAP?  I think it would.
Maybe learn where this is as the MAP sensor post intercooler on my Land Rover  is what needs the occasional clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TVan Mk2 & RAAF Tactical Trailer

Chenny042

I am considering buying a Subaroo Forester and was wondering how it would go towing a TVAN? Any thoughts?