Author Topic: Deck Legs  (Read 523 times)

Offline Nifty

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Deck Legs
« on: October 27, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »
At the recent gathering I heard mention of a modification to the deck legs. I didn’t hear much more than that but since I need to get some new ones anyway, I’m hoping that someone can post some details here, or put me in touch with someone who knows about it.
I currently have the deck partially dismantled - slight bend - so plan to fix it all at the same time. The “cracked deck” posts have been invaluable, thanks everyone.

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
Re: Deck Legs
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 06:24:13 PM »
A guy named Martin has successfully fitted Mk5 deck legs to his earlier model Tvan. As I have a Mk5, I didn't go and have a look so hopefully Martin or someone else at the Gathering can give you some more info
Cheers

Online Gumb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 06:50:04 PM »
I spoke to him at the gathering but never got around to checking it out but he did successfully change over to the new style and he said it wasn't that difficult. I think he had the same as on my Mk4 with the adjustable pins. He said the biggest benefit was not having to take them off and store in the cabin.

Funny, when I called in to Track to ask several months ago, I was told it couldn't be done.

2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Offline Nifty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 08:27:04 AM »
Thank you. I’ve seen the legs with pins, but are the MK5 legs different again? Could you permanently attach the pinned legs anyway? I imagine it would just take a small bolt to do that, as long as the attached leg didn’t interfere with anything when opening or closing.

Offline hulbyw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 05:14:30 PM »
Mk5 deck legs adjust for height with a spring loaded pin. Also, when the legs are not in use they are stored in the deck and held in place by the same spring loaded pin. Suggest you try and get to Track Trailer to see them and then work out how to adapt the leg and bracket to the earlier deck. The Mk5 only uses 4 legs with 1 at each side and 2 at the rear of the deck
Cheers

Online Gumb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
I never use the 6 legs I have anyway. The inner two aren't necessary and from what I've seen, most people do the same.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 12:38:26 AM »
To understand the newest deck legs, it's easier if you actually see them.
As HulbyW has already stated.
The leg slides horizontally through the mounting on the edge of the deck for storage, hidden inside the deck.  Held in place by the locking pin, when fully inserted.
To deploy/use the leg, it is freed from the pin and slid completely from storage position.
The leg is then inserted sideways through the mounting and locked by the retaining pin.
To make the setup fit a Mk.2 deck the receiver tubes have to be removed and the tubes from the Mk.5 deck fitted in their place.  As I'm not privy to the way the Mk5 deck is put together, I'll have to leave that bit to someone else.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, being run in, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.
Cruiser 105Tvan, 2000 FZJ105R,

Offline Nifty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
I’ll be up in the big smoke next week and will have a look at the options, at Track. Sounds like 4 will be enough, and I’ll take one of the old leg receivers with me. There’s a lot of play in there

Offline Longrocky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 06:47:43 PM »
I had a go at making some deck legs for a MK2, used the old push in leg, cut off the end, made square hole, welded onto end of yellow bar, drilled holes for locating push pin. Seems fine.
Ken
2009 Tvan MkII Canning
2003 TD42 Landcruiser 100 series

Offline Longrocky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »
Some more pictures. Only works for the middle legs.
Ken
2009 Tvan MkII Canning

Offline Nifty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 10:26:40 AM »
That looks like an interesting approach. Do you travel with the leg in place?  I haven’t managed to see the latest version yet so your pictures are quite helpful - thanks.

Offline Longrocky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 10:45:59 AM »
Hi Nifty, Can travel with the leg in place as in the first photo. It is locked in position with the pin, so it will not come out. Now I only need to store the back two legs.

Ken
Ken
2009 Tvan MkII Canning

Offline Nifty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »
Thanks Ken, that makes a lot of sense to me. I have a couple of legs where the shaft that goes in to the receiver is twisted about 25 degrees (perhaps someone moved the Tvan with the legs down) and I will modify them as you have done. It will also get rid of the slop in the system, and always be ready for use even for the quick setup. I’ll have to go and sharpen some drill bits.

Nev