Author Topic: Tvan Mk 5 Scout - Fuse Location (Water pump issue)  (Read 124 times)

Offline William_Foster

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Tvan Mk 5 Scout - Fuse Location (Water pump issue)
« on: November 23, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
Afternoon all,

I’m trying to find some information on what panel I need to pull off to find the location of the fuses in a Tvan Mk5 Scout.

I’ve had a look on here but can’t find details for a Mk5 and the manual helpfully suggests that they may be above or below the switches but doesn’t give information on which panel to take off. From the look of it I need to take the whole shroud of the control centre, does that sound right? There is a small removable panel next to the battery gauge but this doesn’t have any fuses behind it.

Any help you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside I’m trying to work out why my water pump has stopped, the manual suggests that if the switch isn’t glowing it may be a fuse; my switch is glowing but just want to rule the fuse out as the problem. Any other ideas why pumps just stop other than just dying?

Thanks in advance.
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5

Offline luke

• View Profile
Re: Tvan Mk 5 Scout - Fuse Location (Water pump issue)
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 07:05:57 PM »
Sorry William,
  Our's is a MK4 so everything about to follow may be wrong.

The MK4's have a couple of MAXI style blade fuses in the battery box and under the guard above the wheel arch, but these are for the car charging circuit and main battery supply so if they went you'd loose everything else as well.

All of the fuse's in the ICC are the auto reset type, and yes, on the MK4 you need to remove the whole panel (sort of slides out towards the passenger side) to get access, but as these are auto reset, you should hear them chattering if there's any issues.

Regarding the pump:
  • Seized.
    If the pump is seized you won't hear much, though the auto reset breaker may chatter.
    To check if it's seized, you either need to measure the current going to the pump, or remove it and try turn by hand.
  • Loose connection to pump.
    If the switch is glowing, then the switch obviously has power but the pump still may not.  Not sure on the MK5, but if it's a high current switch, there will be another connector from the back of the switch to the pump, or it could be driving a relay (so more connectors to check.)
  • Bad connection.
    A loose connection could also be an issue.  if there's a loose/damaged connector or frayed wire, then there could be enough current to light the LED, but not enough current to run the pump. (same for rusted contacts / terminals).
    In this situation, when starting the pump the LED may dim.
  • Pressure switch.
    The pumps are also fitted with a high pressure cutoff switch.  Under normal conditions the switch is 'normally closed' which allows power to flow, but when the pressure is high the switch opens stopping the pump.
    Again, there could be a loose connection, faulty pressure switch, or faulty / jammed switch.
    The pressure switch is normally located very close to the pump discharge.
    (Electrically located between the operator switch and the power into the pump)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 07:10:09 PM by luke »
Tvan Canning Mark IV (Dec 2015)
Soon to be Prado 150

Offline William_Foster

• View Profile
Re: Tvan Mk 5 Scout - Fuse Location (Water pump issue)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »
Thanks Luke greatly appreciated, there is my list of tasks for Sunday :)
2018 Tvan Scout
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5