News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Where to mount Redarc BCDC1240D in MK3

Started by Jerika, March 15, 2020, 08:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerika

I have decided to install a Redarc BCDC1240D in our MK3 Murranji.. This is to give us a better solar controller for 300w of portable panels and pave the way to eventually upgrade to lithium batteries.
Our van was built in 2011 with two Fullriver 105AH batteries but did not include a DC-DC charger, just the Projecta 25amp mains powered battery charger, and the little Morningstar solar controller for the the 50w solar panel. I'll remove the Morningstar controller and eventually replace the Projecta with a lithium suitable mains charger as well.

For now, I'm interested to know where and how others have retrofitted the BCDC1240 or similar sized DC-DC chargers to their MK3 Tvan? Any pictures would also be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

MarkA

Made a bracket for my sola and fitted it here. Used the existing nuts to mount the backing plate.  Plan to update to a redark soon
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

Pete930

Mounted ours under the bed on the right hand side, screwed directly to the underside of bed base. Very short cable run to the battery box which is what you want.
External Anderson plug mounted on right hand side near jerry can holder, so we can plug panels into the Tvan and use the BCDC as the solar regulator.
Funnily enough we don't have the need for it as with 2 105 Full River batteries when never run out of juice as the standard 60watt panel on the roof keeps things topped up nicely.

I'll see if a can get some pics in the next few days as it's all packed away at present.

Pete

Pete930

Way to full on to convert JPEG images to what this mob want, if you would like to see a few pics of our MKIII install send me your mobile number to 0407 606 929 and I'll send you a few pics.

Cheers Pete

Jerika

Thanks Mark and Pete for your suggestions. I've got my BCDC1240D now and it's a little smaller than I anticipated and fits nicely under the bed as Pete suggested so that's the plan now.

I've pulled both batteries out to check the condition of the battery boxes and to get a better look at the wiring in the right hand battery box. To my dismay I found the battery in the left battery box had leaked. The acid removed a large patch of the powder coating and even corroded out a small hole to the back of the box. It was also a bit damp in there. I've cleaned the box, patched the hole and painted over the bare metal with some cold galvanising paint.   

Our batteries are the standard Tvan issue Fullriver 105AH batteries. Just curious, has anyone else experienced an AGM battery leak? Does this typically occur when the batteries get to their end of life like ours are?
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

Pete930

Had the same experience in the right hand battery box, thought the full river had leaked, then had a good look around.
In the right hand battery box there is the earth pin that sits there, right behind the wheel from memory so when driving in the rain water is pelted at the bolt from tho outside, this then sweeps around the washer an fills up the battery box.

Have a good look around, seal the crap out of everything you can see, the battery I still have working fine and this is some 3 years after finding the box with water in it.

Pete

Jerika

Pete, where did you route the cables to mount the Anderson plug on the bottom of the power box?  Did you have to remove the power box to open it up and run the cables inside?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

Jerika

After taking a much closer look at the power control centre I figured out you can take off the front panel by removing all the screws AND the 3 bolts across the bottom.  Now with access to the insides it's going to be easy to mount the external Anderson plug and route the wiring back through the box.

Here's a photo of the battery box where the battery leaked before I cleaned it up. Note all the green residue. This is why I think the battery leaked, it wasn't just the damp.

Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6

Pete930

Yes once the power box is removed things quite easy to run cables, under the bed there is the panel that runs at 45 degrees that once removed makes the cable run to the battery box a lot easier.

Looks like that "leak" is in the left battery box. Whilst you are playing with the cable run an extra cable and have your batteries wired in parallel the correct way.

Most folk just do pos to pos and neg to neg. yes it works and I ran mine like this for years, trouble is the loads drain the first battery first and then the second battery. Charging occurs in a similar way so hence yes it works but nit efficient and does not cycle both batteries properly.
Remove the short lead Track run from the battery to the loads of the right battery, connect a new lead from the loads and run to the second battery, then the pos to pos lead just connect to both batteries.

This means you will have one earth lead and two positive leads run.

I've sent a pic and an explanation of why it should be done this way to your mobile phone.

Once you get it you can share it in this page if you wish.

You can still call if you need help

Pete

Jerika

Thanks Pete. I was already onto this preferred way to wire up parallel batteries. I have run an extra -ve cable to achieve the same effect in balancing the draw and recharge of the batteries. Below is the picture Pete sent through.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Jeremy & Erika
Tvan MK3 Murranji 2011
2003 Prado 120 GXL V6