News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Grey water

Started by Jim and Lyn, July 23, 2020, 07:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim and Lyn

Gday all,
Just wondering if I've missed something.
I've just been informed by a very well informed traveller that approved grey storage is being mandated in National Parks across the country.
I've heard of local council's requiring it, and Parks pushing the 'bring it in take it out' philosophy but can't find anything about it being a requirement. Nor how you'd get certified or how a tent camper would get on.
Anyone got any clues?
Cheers
Jim

Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

Eelezy

Gday Jim,
You will comply if you use a plastic Jerry under your sink like we do, then empty it when you leave or are outside the park boundary.  Not sure what would happen to tent based campers...so a good question...perhaps it's another plot to keep humans out of national parks.... ;)
Cheers
Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Gumb

Same as we do, a cheap plastic jerry with a hose running from the sink. The jerry just rides on top of the spare tyre on the front box and the hose is 2 piece and lives in the sink.
A bucket isn't sufficient because it's not sealable. You can also buy 25L portable grey tanks on eBay

https://www.ebay.com.au/c/1742263726

Showering in the ensuite tent however, that's a different problem.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS

Alien

I set our sink up to meet the code which requires an in line tap in the hose before the jerry can where the hose goes in through one  if the cap openings.
The down side is when not using the jerry can the plug will jump from pressure when being filled with the tap closed.
Also be aware sink grey water becomes black water when stored so can't just be thrown the ground in a couple of days time.
Kyle & Coral.
Propulsion unit-  Land Rover Defender.
Accommodation- '06 Canning Tvan.

leachy_9

Quote from: Alien on July 25, 2020, 02:53:54 PM
I set our sink up to meet the code which requires an in line tap in the hose before the jerry can where the hose goes in through one  if the cap openings.
The down side is when not using the jerry can the plug will jump from pressure when being filled with the tap closed.
Also be aware sink grey water becomes black water when stored so can't just be thrown the ground in a couple of days time.

Any pictures of the set up?
2009 Tvan pushing a 100 series Turbo Diesel Landcruiser

Alien

Quote from: leachy_9 on July 25, 2020, 06:35:20 PM
Any pictures of the set up?
I'll take some next weekend as we'll be using it for a local weekend away.
Kyle & Coral.

Jim and Lyn

Very interesting! So my source was saying the storage needed t be certified. Does that ring bells? If so, how?
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn

Alien

For those with time to waste have read of ...
https://cdn.cmca.net.au/cloud/f75a32b3-cd45-4a20-a56e-1a88fa830268_Grey_Water_Tote-article_1.pdf
I'm don't know the date of the article.
From what I could find and have read there is a code of practice for grey water collection only so while I've set up ours to meet this emptying the sink into a bucket and then decanting into a storage container would also be acceptable provided none is spilt.
Kyle & Coral.

Alien

Quote from: Jim and Lyn on July 27, 2020, 07:43:36 PM
Very interesting! So my source was saying the storage needed t be certified. Does that ring bells? If so, how?
Cheers
Jim
I've heard CMCA where doing accreditation for club members but haven't heard of any formal certification for grey water.
Kyle & Coral.

CJ

I have only "heard" of this so called requirement from people who "heard" it from others,
Apart from a handful of council parks I have not come across it as a requirement nor do I see it on the NP websites.
CJ
North Qld
TVan Caning Mk II '09 Sold, ready for upgrade
LC. 200 tow horse

AllanK

Jim and Lyn

Hmmmm! So, Caravan world on the Sunshine Coast has this quote on their website.

ARE GREY WATER TANKS NECESSARY?
Put simply, grey water tanks are necessary for caravanning in Australia only when you travel in National Parks. Here, grey water mustn't be disposed of irresponsibly, and it must be carried out with you, as most Australian National Parks now require that greywater be disposed of outside the park. The only way to achieve this is by installing a greywater tank with capacity that matches that of your freshwater tank.

While Camec has this quote

Am I legally required to?
Whilst we aren't at this stage, we don't think it will be too long before laws like this come into effect. In some free campsites are only open to fully self-sufficientcampers, travellers were required to take all rubbish, including water, with them. National parks across the country are also following suit, introducing grey water guidelines to help educate campers on the acceptable treatment of grey water – often requiring disposal outside of the park.

But I can't find a reference to grey water on either the Vic or NSW Parks sites.

Go figure!
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn

CJ

So the people selling them as an optional extra on their vans at an extra cost are the ones saying it is mandatory
Go figure.
So NP's will not allow camper trailers (all external kitchens) tents (all portable kitchens) and exclude 90% of all campers who do not comply
Yeah right
CJ
North Qld
TVan Caning Mk II '09 Sold, ready for upgrade
LC. 200 tow horse

Gumb

A grey water tank which has to be the size of the fresh water tank will mean a very unstable caravan. Most caravans have 2 fresh water tanks and ideally they'd be either side of the axles. Most then have only one grey water tank which is usually smaller than one of the fresh water tanks. So where do you add enough grey water storage ?

It's a typically bureaucratic response from people who have NFI on camping.
2017 Firetail with extra fruit
2015 Pajero NX GLS