News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tvan Brakes

Started by shamirj, November 20, 2020, 10:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shamirj

Just purchased a Mk2 from interstate, but have couple of questions.

1. Took out the foam mattress and fitted a queen size innnerspring mattress which kinda fits may need the yellow internal side handles removed.

2. whilst driving without a brake controlled and plugged into the Disco4, the tvan came suddenly to a lockup of the brakes which scared the crap out of me. Question - why did it suddenly lock up? travelling at about 40-60kms coming to a stop, so did i brake slowly which activated the elec brakes on tvan. Need to look at the brakes but can i do away with elec brakes, should i install a brake controller or other suggestions please

luke

Quote from: shamirj on November 20, 2020, 10:42:59 AM
2. whilst driving without a brake controlled and plugged into the Disco4, the tvan came suddenly to a lockup of the brakes
Just to clarify, there's no brake controller in the Disco, but is there one on the tvan ?

There's typically two types of electric brake controllers.

• Vehicle mounted
    Typically recommended for permanent vehicle as you can adjust the sensitivity and modes from within the cabin.

• Trailer mounted.
    Great for hire trailers as they're then vehicle independent.
    These days you can also get bluetooth controllable ones which makes the sensitivity etc available from the cabin.
    (If you've got a passenger to use your phone of course. . . )

In your case, if the tvan does have a controller on it, then it may just need a sensitivity (gain) change, or recalibration.

If it doesn't, then there could possibly be something connected to pin 5 (service brakes) on your trailer connection. (has it been setup for something else ?), or an electrical issues somewhere shorting to the brake wire.

Probably worth checking out the handbrake and cable as well.

Quote from: shamirj on November 20, 2020, 10:42:59 AM
but can i do away with elec brakes, should i install a brake controller or other suggestions please
The details are state dependent, but basically in australia any trailer over 750 KG needs to have brakes.

There are a couple of options, but the tvan should already have offroad electric brakes fitted, so it will be easiest and cheapest to get a brake controller fitted. (either in vehicle, or trailer mounted.)
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

shamirj

Thanks no brake controller on the Disco4 or the Tvan. I will re check everything once it becomes cooler. I would prefer a trailer fitted brake controller if i have to buy they all seem costly though last time the fitment of the redarc tow pro elite cost me close to $800 fitted. The trailer fitted ones are about $600 i think.

On another note - also found out today... I have a battery 12v mounted in the front tray (previous owner kindly provided a new replacement battery also unfitted) want to fit in the rear next to water tank, want to remove excess weight from the front as much as possible. It came with no gas bottles due to transport from interstate so looking to get a 4kg bottle as well.

Water tank filler locked or unlocked seems to just rotate with the cap not coming off to refill with water? Is this a common fault.

Jockey wheel is flat, seems like it needs a pump up with air.

Gas struts sagging so looking at options for this. regas buy new locally? ebay will need the lengths etc

Looking for a suitable cutlery tray for the tray which measures 10 x 10 inches approx, who stocks these smaller cutlery trays please?

Phil G

Geeze - you need to fit a brake controller!!  Sounds like pin5 is connected to the brake light circuit either on the disco or the Tvan - check the plug to see.
To move the battery you'll need an angle grinder (to cut off a small round strut) and a welder to build a new battery tray then run the wire through and then you'll also want a DC-DC charger because the battery is a long way from the car's alternator.
Water tank filler rotates freely when it is locked.  Get a key, unlock it, then you can push it down and turn.
Mark 1 has inflatable tyre on the jockey wheel.  That's why it has a valve.
Just get new struts from track - they are $39 each.  https://outbackhq.com.au/product/tvan-gas-strut/
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

Firenze

Hi,
From the factory the pin in the trailer socket mounted on the D4 is the RH? park light as per euro standard. So on the basis that the TVan has no on board brake controller, then you can add a brake controller to the D4

See here for 50 odd pages of information. Best to get an auto electrician familiar with Discoveries if you do not wish to add diodes etc.

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/the-d3-d4-sticky-zone/97935-d4-electric-trailer-brake-wiring.html

This by the way is common for most Euro vehicles.