News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

tyre pressures

Started by glsgls, November 29, 2020, 02:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsgls

Am seeking some information on correct tyre pressures for a Topaz.  I have 265/70/17 wheels and as the manufacturer advises to run 32psi I feel that is too low.  Bob Jane recommended 40psi and a local caravan agent 45psi.  Now I am confused.  What other recommendations do you have.  :)

boobook

I'll go with Bob Jane. 40 on bitumen, 28 to 30 on dirt. and 24 to 26 for heavier corrugations.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Gryphen

Here's an article that might help figure it out based upon your actual tyres and the van

https://rvdaily.com.au/how-to-calculate-the-correct-tyre-pressure-for-your-caravan/

boobook

Personally, I would not take any notice of that artice.  54PSI really?

Also if you get a TPMS you quickly realise that the 4PSI rule is outdated, wrong and not particularly useful. It's equivalent in accuracy to a wet finger in the air to measure the wind speed. Better than nothing, but not much.

If you have a TMPS you will notice the tyre pressures on either side of a vehicle can vary by up to 6PSI - or more simply due to them facing the sun or not.

That article was lifted from a UK based caravan blogger.  54 PSI may be useful for smooth short run Motorways but not Australia. Free but unhelpful information IMHO. If you click through to the author's website there is another article on a LoraWan / Sigfox volt logger Good luck getting coverage for that in Australia.

Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

glsgls

thanks, for the replys I think I will go with 40 psi and see how the tyres wear ,I do have a tmps it works a treat  54psi does seem high  thanks rob :)