Author Topic: Wheel bearing torque  (Read 776 times)

Offline Jim and Lyn

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Tvan
Re: Wheel bearing torque
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:16 PM »
Hi Harry,
That hot spotting is definitely an issue generally caused by something being out of round.
Do the shoes have unusual wear marks?
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

Offline Jim and Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
Gday again Harry,
This post got me Googling to find a bit more info and it also appears that some drums can have differing metallic properties that can result in your issue. I’ve not heard of it before but the small circular spots look different to what I remember from out of round problems.
Either way get it checked by someone who knows!
Cheers again
Jim
Jim & Lyn

Offline Pete930

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2021, 07:15:04 AM »
Yes a Harry, Jim is pretty much on the money.

Hot spots for sure, cause.........many possibilities but as Jim has suggested more like out of round drum with metal composition being a bit odd as well.

Maybe seen 3 examples over the last four years, folk didn’t notice any different in braking so wasn’t too much of an issue for them.

Don’t bother trying to machine them as the machine won’t like the hot spot area and will chatter as it’s going across it, also when you machine drums the internal diameter increases and then the actuator arm that operates the brakes has to travel further to push out the brake shoes.

The brakes will still work but will be inefficient as hell, that’s why I’m not a fan of machine, I learnt that one the hard way on our own Tvan, but that s story for another day.

If you havnt noticed and issue with the brakes as such, just keep using, get the money’s worth out of them then when worn switch backing plates, drums and you may as well do bearings while your there.

Pete

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »
Thanks Jim and Pete,

I'll just keep using them.  I have noticed though that, when adjusting brakes, I can get the left hand side to not rub, but the right always scrapes a little.  Has done since new 6 years ago.

Which brings me to the next point, HUBS!  I may as well change the hubs from my 6 stud Isuzu to 5 stud Landcruiser if that's possible without having to change stub axles.  When I have time, I'll measure the simple offset of the Isuzu and Landcruiser rims and if it's similar, I figure I should only need to change the hubs. 

Cheers

Harry
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Offline Pete930

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 03:21:24 PM »
Only need to change the brake drums ( hubs as you call them) and ensure stud pattern matches what you want and the bearing configuration matches the existing stub axle.

Everyone wants to a tech them to match tow vehicle.......hmmmmm do you really need to ?

Start off any outback trip with at least 70% on all your tyres and you’d be very unlucky to have multiple punctures etc etc.

Send me your phone number Harry to 0407 606 929 and I’ll send you a little chart that maybe useful to you.

Offline Harry Lissimore

• View Profile
  • Do you own a Track Product?: Topaz
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 04:34:01 PM »
Hi Pete,

My numbers 0417193528.

I do make sure tyres are newish with at least 70% tread and I do let my tyres down a little on corrugations. I use the 20% rule as it's easy to remember.

I've been across the Gibb River Road twice and both times I have had to buy a new tyre from  "Over The Range" Tyres. I have also had another tyre replaced in Kununurra on one of those 2 trips.  Tyres were basically new all times.

I have also cracked 2 Dynamic Rims on the Topaz in 2 years (same 2 years as above!).  No wonder I'm a little sensitive to flat tyres.  It does increase my confidence if all tyres and rims are matching!

My previous tyres were Bridgestone Duellers, they're now all BFGs as I rarely hear of a problem with them.

H

Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Offline Jim and Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2021, 08:59:26 PM »
Gday Harry,
You’ve been on here for a long time so you know the issues with offset and changing wheel setups. I was amazed at your flat tire record but Duellers are a pretty light weight carcass and sharp rocky highish speed tracks like the GRR are a challenge for them. I ran BFG for about twenty years and then Maxx’s for two sets and only had one flat - at home from a tek screw at the tip! Im only saying this because I think the investment in the stronger tyres may be a better one than the expense of changing to matching wheels. Unless you’ve got the extra rims and you don’t have to change axles!
Having said that I’ve just fitted Toyo AT2’s but we’re planning a couple years of sandy tracks so hoping they’ll do the job.
Cheers
Jim
Jim & Lyn

Offline Pete930

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2021, 09:11:36 PM »
Harry, listen to Jimbo, he’s got his head scewed on right

Offline Jim and Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
Hey Pete we must have met cos no one calls me Jimbo except for them what knows me!
Cheers
Jim & Lyn

Offline Pete930

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2021, 10:00:09 AM »
Who knows Jim, maybe crossed paths in another life ??

Offline Jim and Lyn

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2021, 12:41:29 PM »
Well I hope we cross paths sooner rather than later as we’re planning on a trip to Streaky Bay area in a couple of weeks - if the borders ever open and we don’t have to stay home to get jabbed and and and!
Cheers,
Jim .... bo!
Jim & Lyn