News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Over Centre Latch's

Started by luke, January 20, 2021, 09:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

Hi All,
  I've been wanting to replace the top over centre latch's for awhile, as I was never really happy with the amount of movement that was still possible when they were locked, and as we're gearing up for a big trip and some rough roads, I thought now was the time to do it.

There's a couple of other threads in the forum about replacing them, but they're for like-for-like, while I've opted of a different make, although with the same footprint for the screws.

I've used the OJOP 500 catches, which are rated for 500 kg which should be plenty, and have a thumb catch as well as a flush locking hole vs the standard one being in the middle.

So, after changing the catches and admiring my limited handy man skills, I'm now sitting here wondering why track trailer or no one else has done something similar.
Is there anything else I need to consider, or is a latch a latch, and I don't need to give it a second thought ?
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

luke

and better pictures of the OJOP catch itself.

Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

Ray

The latches look good, well done.

The rubber bumpers however are starting to look perished, ours became hard and wore the fiberglass, might be worth replacing those.

Ray
White NT Pajero and 2009 Tvan Sport with custom kitchen

Pete930

Yes Ray the bump stop rubbers can and will end up rubbing through the gel coat. You can get a large panel washer, make a rubber "bush" to go between the washer and the gel coat, drill a hole through the lid and bolt the washer on.
Ensure it's sealed etc then the bump stop rubber will wear on the washer.

Easy peasey to do just have to back yourself drilling a hole thought the lid is all

Pete

luke

Quote from: Ray on January 20, 2021, 11:47:03 AM
The rubber bumpers however are starting to look perished, ours became hard and wore the fiberglass, might be worth replacing those.

Thanks Ray, they're on the to do list, I just haven't found replacements yet.
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

RobertD

Hi Guys
Not absolutely on the topic of latches but rather on the bump stop issue.  What I have done is take some loop Velcro and stick it onto the hatch where the rubber stop rests.  Seems to work well and when it wears a little just remove and replace.
Robert,  Landcruiser 200, Tvan Murranji

Cruiser 105Tvan

Guys, the 'rubber bump stops' are just door stops from the Hardware store.
They aren't a unique special part.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

luke

Quote from: Cruiser 105Tvan on January 21, 2021, 11:56:04 PM
Guys, the 'rubber bump stops' are just door stops from the Hardware store.
They aren't a unique special part.

I have looked a couple of times and although I haven't found what I'm looking for, it hasn't been a huge priority either.  The tvan ones are fairly wide, and the ones i've found to date tend to be tall and skinny.

I've also been avoiding trying to drill the stainless rivets out, but figured after I made a mess of it I'd just replace them with bolt's and nyloc's
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

MarkA

Clark rubber have the rubber stops in White.  At least they did   
200 series LandCruiser
Canning Mk 3
And a Mountian of stuff I don't think we need but apparently it's vital camp equipment.

TecTvan

Yep, I replaced latches on our Tvan (2005) with new locking ones. Got them at the big green shed. Happy I don't have to worry about possible unlatch during bumpy trips.
2005 Tanami Tvan
2012 Prado 150 D4D

Young Nomads

Our o/c catches are the locking type you have installed. These were standard fitment in our 2012 Mk 3 Canning. We prefer their positive locking mechanism too and have spares the same model as yours :) I can understand that some may not have the finger/ hand strength the operate them, though

John & Robyn.
Doing life in our healthy years.
Not waiting for the wealthy years. :D
Your coffin is the only place you can't take your TVan and the hearse doesn't have a towbar!
06 LC 100 TD Auto. & 2012 Canning Tvan with all the fruit.

Kermit

Does anyone know where you can buy the part that goes on the deck with the provision for the locking pin thanks

TecTvan

2005 Tanami Tvan
2012 Prado 150 D4D

Kermit

TecTvan

Hi Kermit, if you have the locking type latches then I really don't reckon you need the secondary bracket from Track. I think that was introduced as backup in case a non locking latch came open during travels. That's my take anyway.
Regards
2005 Tanami Tvan
2012 Prado 150 D4D