News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Shock Absorbers

Started by Harry Lissimore, February 13, 2021, 04:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Lissimore

I've just replaced the rubbers in my Koni shock absorbers on the Topaz and was wondering how tight to tighten the Nylox nuts.  The nuts can be tightened right to the end of the thread which squashes the ends of the rubbers in a fair bit and doesn't allow any movement. The nylox locking nuts will allow for a lighter tension without coming loose.

What do others do?

Harry.
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Pete930

Just what you have done Harry tighten up preferably by hand and not using impact gun etc ( most folk don't get the right feel with them sadly). Tighten till firm and your done. Don't worry Re using loctite etc on the nyloc nut, waste of time and potentially can cause issues down the road.

Harry Lissimore

Hi Pete930,

I've just done a little research as I remember years ago there was mention on the forum of preload on the shocks, and they seem to say that you tighten them right up until your at the end of the thread.  The shock supports and the shock rubbers are at such length/thickness to tighten to the end of the thread.  That seems a little too tight for me, specially that I'm using Repco rubbers that maybe are a smidgen thicker on the ends compared to the Track ones.  However they still tighten right up.

Harry 
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

Pete930

Don't over think it Harry, for one how do you know that your at the end of the threads and that the firmness you are feeling is just the compression etc of the rubbers ?

Just tighten it up until it's firm and job over, research all you like but firm is firm, simple. Spend your time thinking  about what beer or Whisky you are going to shout me !!

You are not preloading anything as you eluded to, tighten the nut, shock bushes expand within the shock and compress on the mounting pin, they will squish out a little and that's fine.

As far as using loctite etc, in my meagre view not required........why if travelling on rough tracks you will be checking vehicle and Topaz, Tvan etc from time to time, don't see nyloc nuts come off, yes they may loosen a little but that why you do the checks.

Using loctite even a light locking one such as the blue one can how can we put it, clog up the threads a little and when you go to remove the nut in this case, the act of "breaking the seal" can generate heat. The heat with possibly an incorrect action off undoing the now tight nut can as sheer the pin.

One member has found this out recently and is in the process of getting a replacement pin which will need to be welded back on.

If you encounter a tight nut or bolt the way to undo it is to undo till it may go firm, then actually tighten it back up a little, then keep repeating this process. What you are actually doing is cleaning out the possibly dodgy thread or one clagged up with loctite, hence why the use of impact guns etc can be your worst enemy sometimes.

Now go back to thinking of Whisy and beer and leave your bloody shocks alone ......ok

Pete