News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Brake controllers

Started by wrose, March 17, 2013, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrose

I have a 200 series Landcruiser with a Redarc remote head brake controller.
I'm not happy with its performance.
What brake controllers is everyone using? And how do you find it's performance.
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

boobook

I had a redarc and chucked it too. Downright dangerous as you have to keep changing the control.

The Tekonsha P3 is about as good as it gets.

Most people put it in the Ash tray location in a 200. I put mine in the credit card holder space after hacking it with a drimel tool.
Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

The Hueys

Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Jim and Lyn

Jim & Lyn
LC100, 1HDFTE and 2005 Tvan

Lc100

P3 nothing else in the same class

Red arc great company and workmanship but missed the mark on the brake controller
2012 Topaz 
2007 LC100 for the rough stuff
2010 RRS TDV6 (Wife) i'm allowed to drive when it needs Fuel
2012 Prado for everyday

kreecha

Previous Tvan;
MKIII (2012) Tanami (black acsents) up-spec'd to Canning/Murranji half breed.
Next Tvan;
MKIV Murranji (black acsents). Or maybe a 20th Anniversary Special (MKV?) Current planning challenges - Getting 5x120mm wheels fitted and storage for 4 kids ;D

leethal

Prodigy P3, bought it off ebay for around $150. I  cannot speak highly enough about it, just so much adjustment, manual override, on board diagnistics and it's proportional controller as well.  Just buy one, take my and the people above this posts recommendations.

wrose

I just changed to the new Redarc Tow-Pro, I did a short trip over the mountains via Bells Line to Mudgee the other weekend.
With the new Tow-Pro in Auto mode, it felt like I didn't even have the Tvan on the back, I never had to change any setting, like I was constantly doing with the old one. I'm yet to try it on some steep mountain trails.
Much happier with the new Two-Pro, fit perfectly be hind the dash too.
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)

debian

We have the Redarc Tow-Pro too and agree with Wrose that it seems to be a good unit.
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Cuppa

Good to hear about the Towpro unit. I have just ordered one via ebay. Did you fit it yourselves? It looks like it should be fairly straightforward.
If anyone with a GU Patrol has one of these units ..... where did you connect in to the brake light circuit?
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

peter_mcc

I've just put a Tow Pro in our Tvan - it seems to work well in auto mode. Manual mode isn't so great - because you can't adjust it I found that either the wheels locked up when going slowly or it didn't seem to do anything when going faster.

boobook

Peter I thought that the amount of braking was adjustable in Manual and Auto modes. That's how I read the manual. I don't have one but an looking to buy one.

Tony,
Landcruiser 200
MK 111 Canning Tvan
VKS 1523
VK3TON

Patrol Dude

Good timing on this topic, my old unit died a few weeks ago asked the auto electrician to check it out for me and he put in one of those Cheap Redac units. So what's better now the New Towpro or the Tekonsha P3? And why is it better?
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

three1four2

Peter - the Redarc rep had a demo box set up at the ARB open day on Saturday.

Under manual operation, there was a constant level of braking applied (as indicated by red light glow!) to the trailer wheels - you need to set that strength, hence the same issue as with the old Redarc unit where what is the right level of the highway is different to when hitting lights in a built up area.  So, you can adjust it, but needs readjusting if conditions change markedly.

Under auto operation, variable power is delivered to the trailer wheels, depending on the braking situation.

I'm about to swap out my older Redarc for a TowPro, so here's hoping that it lives up to the hype!

pi
pi
Topaz II Savannah 2016 & Disco 4 MY11

Patrol Dude

Ok, spoke to the auto electrian today, he is happy to swap the redarc units over, so the new towpro goes in Friday - Time will tell if its any good or not :)
Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody