News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Brake controllers

Started by wrose, March 17, 2013, 05:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeffr

Sorry for the grave-digging: but it makes sense to use an old post to ask what I would think is a much often asked question...

Its time for me to fit up a brake controller to the tug. I am new to towing and really have no expectations on performance other than having avoided towing after really bad "life lesson" handed out by the school of hard knocks in my military days.

I don't care about $, I want the very best and I'm prepared to pay for it. I like the Redarc head unit, small and tidy but when it comes to fundamental safety features such as braking, form follows function each and every time.

So, any relevant experiences of current of Tekonsha v Redarc units?

Kind Regards, and thank you in advance.

Jeff
Jeff & Judy

Cuppa

Jeff, I can't offer you a comparison, I too had never used a brake controller until recently fitting a tow pro. It was easy to fit & to calibrate. In use I have to admit that I find it hard to know how much work the van brakes are doing, but they are not locking up & our Patrol + Tvan can pull up as quickly & sometimes more quickly (depending upon the setting) than the Patrol alone, & I'm referring to a heavy Patrol (GVM upgrade to 3900kg & running at fully loaded -3700kg when testing). The 'push the button' in auto mode to apply trailer brakes only (to bring any swaying under control - not that Tvans sway of course) made a noticeable difference when coasting with foot off the throttle to test it.

To be honest, in normal use I find it quite difficult to determine the best setting 'strength', but am happy with my ability to be able to pull up smartly & safely with it set on 5 or 6 out of 10. It is still early days for me, & I expect to fine tune it with a bit more familiarity. I haven't even tried manual mode yet. When calibrating it did mometarily lock up the Tvan wheels as it is supposed to do which was reassuring that the brakes themselves are set up ok.

From all I read, I suspect that there is not a lot to decide between Tekonsha & the newer Redarc, with preferences often determined by what folk are used to. I find the Patrol cab rather limited in space hence my choice for the Redarc.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

Underbelly

Hi Jeff
Over the past 30 years I have used 3 different brake controllers towing both Caravans, camper trailers and now the Tvan.  I now have a Tekonsha and it is the best I have used so far.  It is easy to adjust the settings on the fly if you find that your settings that were great on the highway or off-road are not quite right in the city - they are also very easy to read on the clear display.  On the negative side I bump my knee from time to time on the Tekonsha and if you have very little knee room then the Redarc is hard to beat.  Just make sure that you have easy access to a towed vehicle brake activation lever in the event your Tvan gets a sway up (I've experienced this with other towed vehicles but so far never with the Tvan).

2011 Tvan Murranji MkIII

Jeffr

Thank you David, thank you Cuppa. Will look at actual units and see what will fit best into the cab.

Kind Regards

Jeff
Jeff & Judy

rogtj

I've got Tekonsha 3 in my 200 series and the new Tow Pro in the Jeep, I actually prefer the Tow Pro.  It has the option of fully automatic, or dial up whatever you want, and soooo nice the way it hides with only a small button to see.  Rog

Jeffr

Thankyou Rog, good to know...
Jeff & Judy

Patrol Dude

Jeff & Trish
RockVegas
2020 79 Dual Cab
2011 TVan Murranji (with lots of stuff) :)
2021 T4 Rhapsody

Buzzster

Im getting a tow-pro fitted today, been hearing good things and i like the idea the inertia setup for general highway use. Most units you need to just for the conditions so in manual mode i don't see that as an issue just need to get used to the feel.
Buzzster (BuzzRok)
Dave & Chris

Tug: VW Amarok 2014 Dualcab
Living Quarters: 2015 Tvan MK4 Murranji

crano

Hi, just to ad to the brake controller discussion. Last w/e i fitted the Redarc TowPro, pretty easy to fit (i haven't calibrated it as yet as I pick up my teevan on friday..yippee!) except that the wires to the battery are american colour coded....... Will update this post on the weekend. And update my profile to a tvan owner not wisher! regards crano
LANDCRUISER 76- BP51- 2022 Canning called- TraceyAnne

markeaust

Had the Tekonsha P3, now have a Tow-Pro.

They are both very effective and pull the trailer up well.  I like the Tow Pro better becaus it is easy to fit, with no remote head 'box' and it is simple to use and calibrate.

Cheers,

Mark
2003 HDJ100 Landcruiser
1996 Track Eagle
Aussie HFRC 3531, Austravel 3531 RFDS-9VNE

crano

Towed my Tvan from Lismore on the weekend. Had to panic break and locked up the trailer......total control. I rate the TowPro 9/10.
LANDCRUISER 76- BP51- 2022 Canning called- TraceyAnne

Buzzster

Used the TowPro over the last few weeks on a trip, highway on auto perfect, off road in manual once setting correct for the terrain awesome felt like i had total control and easy to adjust if needed. I give it a 9/10.
Buzzster (BuzzRok)
Dave & Chris

Tug: VW Amarok 2014 Dualcab
Living Quarters: 2015 Tvan MK4 Murranji

Dustytrails

Great thread this. So looks like I'll be getting the tow pro. So far seems like Repco might be the best price (can get NRMA discount).
Buzzster how did you go fitting it to the Amarok ?

Shaker

Quote from: Dustytrails on November 03, 2015, 01:40:31 PM
Great thread this. So looks like I'll be getting the tow pro. So far seems like Repco might be the best price (can get NRMA discount).
Buzzster how did you go fitting it to the Amarok ?

How much are they at Repco?
Prado 120 GXL 1KZ Manual
Tvan Mk2 Canning
Australian Off Road Quantum
Swag!

peter_mcc

They are $240 from some local eBay sellers (with 100% or close positive feedback)