News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Quick Set Up Awning for TVAN Mark 11 and 111

Started by wolfgirlkitty, June 14, 2013, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfgirlkitty

Hi There !!  My name's Baron, and my wife (wolfgirlkitty) and I own a 2005 TVan.  We purchased it second hand a few years ago, and were lucky enough to find one with "the lot" !!  It came with, amongst other things, the full awning and annexe.  Don't know about you, but boy is that thing a pain in the rear to put up !!  So, I came up with a way to install a Quick Set Up Awning, using the awnings you can buy for the roof/sides of 4WDs.  This awning is installed on the side of the Tvan, with specially designed brackets, using anchor points / bolt holes already on the TVan ... no extra holes required !!  It is installed so that when you open up your TVan, it moves with the rear roof/door, and when the TVan roof is up, so is the awning (almost !!).  All you need to do is raise one pole (which is already installed on the TVan), and roll out the awning ... and there you go, you have an instant awning !!  It is simple to set up for lunch stops, it goes up (and down) in seconds.  We have testing it right through a four week trip through Central Australia, down the Old Ghan Rail Trail, and many other trips.  I wouldn't put anything onto the TVan if it wasn't worthy of being there.  Here are some photos, showing the awning in various positions.  If you would like to know more about this wonderful awning set up, please give me a call on 0425 710 512.
Baron & Connie
Jeep Wrangler towing a 2005 TVan

Kevin

Hi Baron
A rather nice looking setup. Is it something that can be removed relatively easily. e.g. if I do want to go away for a long weekend and use the original awning - can I take this thing off easily and leave it at home. Can the original awning still be fitted when yours is removed.
cheers
Kevin
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

wolfgirlkitty

Hi Kevin,
Thank you !!  Yes, you can still use your original awning whenever you want.  All you need to do is undo one nut at the back, and slide the front pole out of it's sleeve ... the whole awning is now removed.  It doesn't affect the existing annexe / awning setup at all.
Cheers,
Baron
Baron & Connie

Rod1

Hi Baron

Looks good - any chance of posting some close up photos of how you have attached the awning to the van?

Cheers
Rod
Prado 120 - Tvan Tanami Mk III

wolfgirlkitty

Hi Rod,

Our camper is away on a property at the moment, so it may take a few days to get photos.

However, we do have a few sets of the bracket system made up, if you are interested. Give us a call on the number above if you want more info.

Cheers,

Baron
Baron & Connie

The Hueys

G'day Baron,

Very clever, never thought of having one that moved with the hatch to get the extra height.

Is the front attached to the pole with some sort of swinging bracket to accommodate the movement when opening the hatch?

Regards,

Craig
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

wolfgirlkitty

Hi Craig,

Thanks !!  Yes, it is attached to a swing arm/bracket.  Works perfectly and effortlessly !!

Regards,

Baron
Baron & Connie

burgo

Great idea Baron, ive been thinking along these lines as  the track awning is  quite fiddly. I wiould like to see a photo of the bracket, would you mind posting one?

Thanks,

Burgo
200 series landcruiser diesel v8
2004 Tvan

wolfgirlkitty

Hi Burgo !

Don't currently have any close up photos of the bracket, but if you'd like to give me a call on 0425 710 512, I would be happy to give you more information.

Thanks,

Baron
Baron & Connie

talawana

Thank you Baron for sharing your awning, I can't wait to show Ron "I want one" .

Cheers

wolfgirlkitty

Baron & Connie

Mal.W

A great set up and worth considering.
Just a word of warning. We had a similar unit mounted at three points to a roof-rack. With constant corrugations the aluminium rivets that hold the awning to the mounting track just fell to bits. I replaced them with stainless round head bolts and Nylock nuts.

Cheers
Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji. On the road full time now ( we were until recently)

wolfgirlkitty

Thanks for the info ... will keep that in mind !!
Baron & Connie

Philh

Baron

Great idea, looking at the numbers of views to your pictures, you have generated a lot of interest.

You have noone to blame but yourself! Now you just have to get some pictures of the mounting brackets.
cheers
Phil
Phil & Rob
Isuzi D-MAX (2019) towing a Tvan Sport (2010)
South Gippsland, Victoria

ftg racing

I had Baron fit one up for me today ...  I must say i am impressed with the workmanship, design and price !!
I have been wanting to make a mount like this since i first bought my Tvan, but for the price of this I couldn't see the point of designing and making one myself.
Nice to meet you Baron and thanks for a great product and excellent service :)
Darren

Customized 2009 Tvan Murranji
2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L