News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Quick Set Up Awning for TVAN Mark 11 and 111

Started by wolfgirlkitty, June 14, 2013, 02:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pebble

We've just changed cars so we're yet to test out the new set up properly but I reckon it will be one of the best mods we've ever done to the T-Van. ;D
Kristina & Terry + 2 skid lids
2013 TVan Canning - sold in 2016, now gone to the dark side...(caravan)

wolfgirlkitty

Awesome ... we love ours, and haven't used the annexe since we've had the awning and brackets installed.  So quick and easy ...
Baron & Connie
Jeep Wrangler towing a 2005 TVan

Col

Thanks for the idea and installation of the quick set up awning. It has made a real difference to our van and added to the enjoyment of using the Tvan.

Slick

Quote from: wolfgirlkitty on April 18, 2015, 07:18:49 PM
Awesome ... we love ours, and haven't used the annexe since we've had the awning and brackets installed.  So quick and easy ...

Baron & Connie - PM Sent

Vince.
Vince & Sandy
2005 GUIV TD42Ti
2011 TVan Murranji

colin.

I put the awing on the tvan thank you Byron and then with the awing on the Nissan I also made up with spreader poles a section that go's between both , also put LED lights under both awings and hard wired   , I use these all the time , very easy to set up and plenty of under cover space

abucas

I would also like to express my thanks to Baron for the awning brackets, they are worth every cent.
The main canvas awning is going into permanent storage now, as I cant see us ever using it again.
I am using two awnings as you can see in the pics below, attached again as per inspiration from Baron. As these awnings are 2.5*2.5m each, I now have more under cover area also

We used this setup  for the long Easter break, and survived 27 hours straight of rain . Thankfully my wife had sewn up a rain gutter to attach between the two awnings and this worked a treat.

If we were buying a new Tvan  (maybe Mk IV, had a look today at the new kitchen and it looks good), The first thing I would do (apart from not be wasting money on the canvas awning), would be to fit a pullout awning.

I must say it's pretty disappointing that Track can't manage to offer something similar as standard option. If owners without the resources that the manufacturer would have can manage it why can't Track?

Travel mode

One awning up

Both awnings Top view

View from underneath

Looking from the back of the removable rear awning, showing another rain gutter to protect over the door opening

Wind and rain skirts - The rear one zips onto the the zipper used for the original canvas awning plus some Velcro on the inside of the hatch.
And the front one is via a cord pull tight into the rain gutter.
These are sewn up from old tent fly material, and stay permanently attached to the awning, simply rolling up with the awning and living in the cover. super simple takes less than a minute to have both skirts tightened down

This pic is from Easter (prior to the rain) showing the central rain gutter

And the rain gutter in action

And all poles required are stored in the awning, and only needs 3 pegs to hold down in the wind (two if you only have one awning)

You really can't get simpler than this.

Evan

blueyfrost

We would like a set please for a mkii 2009, can you send me payment details. Thanks in anticipation
Nick & Sarah
Ford Ranger twin cab & 2009 MK11 Tanami

wolfgirlkitty

Blueyfrost, I will send you a private message shortly ... just need to check what stock we have available.

Thanks,

Connie
Baron & Connie

wolfgirlkitty

Evan,

Loving what you have done with the awnings, and the extra bits your wife has sewn to stop the weather coming through on the tent section ... that's the bit we need, as well as the bit between the two awnings !!  Must have a go at something like that, too.  We have the one over the kitchen, which works well, and have always planned on doing the other two ... I see a project ahead !!!

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Happy Tvanning.

Regards,

Connie and Baron
Baron & Connie

abucas

To those who may be wondering how the two awning's are joined hopefully the pictures below will help
Again thanks to Baron for the idea

This is front of the rear awning. I have attached the female part of a gate hinge, onto a backing plate with a single bolt allowing the rear end of the awning to swivel in the vertical direction

The next two are end on and top down view of the rear of the front awning- bit hard to photograph this with it attached.

Evan

Phil G

Hi Evan,
Love all the DIY touches on your Tvan - I am like minded.
But have to ask the questions:
#1  Where do you store the second Darche awning?  I'm guessing it might be on the Landcruiser roof rack?
#2  When you set up the two awnings and the nice custom water drains,  is it still a quick setup?  Looks like if I were to do it, it might take two of us a bit of time??
Cheers
Phil
Phil
2003 Tvan
2019 Landcruiser VDJ78 Troopcarrier

abucas

Hi Phil,

It's matter of degrees.

If you want to conmpare the front / fixed awning to, say the sail awning Track supply, well its no comparison. In the time it takes to unroll the canvas swing the poles out of the housing's the awning is setup. Providing more usable undercover space, in a fraction of the time, without any requirement to get any poles etc out of storage.

Next if you are looking for the sort of coverage that the Big canvas annex provides well again in a fraction of the time both awnings can be setup chairs and tables got out and a couple beers consumed and you'd still be in front. And in my case with 2 * 2.5x2.5m awnings I also have more under cover area.

My setup has 2 custom drains (as you call them) and one wind / rain break.
The wind break on the front awning would take all of about 30 sec's to attach. It's simply connect the bottom cord at one end and tighten the other thru a cleat.

The piece that sits between the rear awning and the Van tent, I reckon I can have that attached again in about 30 sec's.

The drain piece between the two awnings is again a less than a minute job, but I wouldn't bother unless I knew it was going to rain.

As for storage / transport, yes I have it on the landcruiser.
Again I have adapted 3 gate hing fittings to make a quick release / setup system that also enables the awning to be used from the landcruiser as per normal.

In the pics looking forward from the rear awning you can see a couple of the storage hing's. ( I have taken a couple of pics this morning to make it a bit clearer)

The fittings on the car, The two end brackets have a metal thread bolt tapped down thru the top to clamp the hings together.
The awning lifts on and off easy as.
I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to achieve this, but this is what I came up with using standard available parts, the only thing I needed to do was to drill some holes

The hinge brackets on the actual awning

Evan

Ranger

Jason Vaughan
Horizon Campers - Nth Qld dealer for Track Trailer products and Queensland's only TVAN hire agent.
info@horizoncampers.com.au or 0409 000 872

luke

Hi All,
  Has anyone tried Wolfgirlkitty's brackets on a MKIV yet, or found a clever solution for clearance around the light ?  Though I'm guessing a couple of small spacers should be sufficient worst case.

I'd also be very interested in knowing if you are all just using standard awnings, or if others have also gone the custom route like Wrose.
http://www.tracktrailerforums.com/index.php?topic=1503
Tvan Mk IV
Prado 150

hulbyw

Mk4 hatch hinges are different to Mk2 and Mk3 hatch hinges. Also if you have a front box on the Mk4, it is mounted much closer to the Tvan than previous models, so I am guessing some redesign mods will be needed to mount an awning on a Mk4
Cheers