News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

more tvan mods

Started by The gun, June 23, 2013, 04:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The gun

I purchased a 2009 canning in Jan 2013. Having a soft floor camper previously, my wife and I enjoy the quick setup that you Tvan owners already enjoyed. Heading up to the gulf next month, there were a few things I thought  the Tvan needed before the trip. We had done a couple of small trips and number one was an upgrade to the swift cooker. I found the two burners weren't enough as our old camper had four and the burners were to close together. A house hold gas cook top was purchased and fitted in nicely to the kitchen draw.

Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

The gun

I've seen a couple of posts regarding draw bar boxes and seeing that the track trailer item is very expensive it was a no brainer for me to knock up one myself. I wanted to retain the gas bottles on the draw bar along with the spare wheel. The battery will have to mounted in the box as that really was the only place for it to go. I did think about putting it in the side storage compartment but decide that even though the battery is a sealed jobby that the box was the best place. The box is 3mm aluminium folded to tvans profile and then a door jam welded in to give the box some integrity as well as a place to attach the door seal. A frame then needed to be fabricated to mount the spare wheel and hold the gas bottles.

Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

The gun

more pics

Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

The gun

Ill post some more when the box is completed
Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

Rod1

Hi Glenn

Great effort so far - keep the pics coming.

Cheers
Rod
Prado 120 - Tvan Tanami Mk III

peterjantvan

well done a great job - we have a 2011 model with the front boot so don't have to make one
- yours looks the part.

comment from my wife - I don't need 4 burners I don't like cooking that much !!!

Hope your trip is all you expect and more.

peter
Peter and Jan
Melbourne
Nissan Patrol Wagon GU 2005 - 6.5 V8 Diesel Manual with lots of extras
2011 Tvan Murranji Mark 3 with some mods to make it even better than great

Kevin

I like that spare wheel holder - looks great.
Kevin
Suitcase
RUK42
2013 Prado SX

Kangyboy

Hi Ya Glenn
Like you i have been making a box for our 2006 Tvan.
Similar in design although not the same.
Got a question for you , in regards the design and the electrics as like you i hvae the batteries inside the box.
What have you done with the 30amp fuse holder , how have you incorporated it in the design?
Interested to hear what you did.

Re your design and handy work it looks good  so well done on that front, luv to see the finished job.

Regards kelly.

Stay Safe & live it to the max!

Tanami TVan

Great Job Glenn
Did the Gas cook top fit into the existing hole or
did you modify it.Also does the cutlery draw still
work as normal.
Norm
Norm
2012 Nissan Patrol
2011 Tanami TVan
Wanneroo Perth

The gun

Quote from: Kangyboy on June 24, 2013, 08:50:12 AM
Hi Ya Glenn
Like you i have been making a box for our 2006 Tvan.
Similar in design although not the same.
Got a question for you , in regards the design and the electrics as like you i hvae the batteries inside the box.
What have you done with the 30amp fuse holder , how have you incorporated it in the design?
Interested to hear what you did.

Re your design and handy work it looks good  so well done on that front, luv to see the finished job.

Regards kelly.

The 30a holder should mount between the box and the camp. Close enough to the edge to  change the fuse if required.
Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

The gun

Hi Norm if you look in the second pic you can see the black marked line where I ended up making a cut to accommodate the new cooker. The cutlery draw is unchanged and works as per normal. The depth of the new cooker is the same as the swift although the height above the top surface was greater the kitchen still slides in ok
Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

Tanami TVan

That's  excellent now that i've looked you can see the marks.
Do you have a model number for the cook top (I could hunt one
down but if there is a part number it would save some leg work)
I'm in the process of turning the two cavity's behind the jerry can
holders into lockers with a door.Will post a pic when half done
Thanks Norm
Norm
2012 Nissan Patrol
2011 Tanami TVan
Wanneroo Perth

The gun

The cooker was a fleabay jobby ($120.00) and I then had to re jet to suit LPG. There seems to be only a couple of sizes, 500 x 550 mm is the one I purchased. This is the overall size of the bit that shows on top of the slide. The hole size is smaller by 30mm approx around the circumference.
Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200

Tanami TVan

One more question  Did you retain the Bayonet fitting
for gas connection.I'm going to do some work on mine
at the weekend
Thanks
Norm
2012 Nissan Patrol
2011 Tanami TVan
Wanneroo Perth

The gun

Yes Norm the fitting is the factory bayonet. I had the fitting from the swift changed to the new cooker.
Glenn and Katrina
2009 tvan behind our 200