News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

topaz wheel alignment

Started by gnome 52, August 31, 2013, 07:33:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnome 52

Hi All  Does anyone know how to check ( and adjust if necessary ) the wheel alignment on a MK1 topaz ?  Thanks .!!
2011 topaz / 2005 4.2td patrol

The Hueys

First thing you will need is a serious set of chassis stands for both ends as the springs need to be removed and spacers put in their place to get the suspension height to the correct location for checking and adjustment. A 600mm ruler is then put onto the face of each drum and a measurement is taken at the front of the straight edge and another taken at the back, the difference being the amount of toe in or out you have. The alignment is then adjusted using the trailing/cross arm nuts.

This is just a brief overview as it can be a very difficult/dangerous job without the right stands, flat work space, etc and unless you have all of these it is best not to attempt it.

You could try contacting Track for the instructions (they have a very good set that I wrote some years ago) but if recent history is anything to go on they probably won't give them to you (citing safety concerns, they don't want to get sued if someone uses their instructions and a van falls on their head). I can't give anyone the full instructions as they are proprietary information. There may be a few Tvan/Topaz owners out there who have them and might be willing forward them on (I used to send them to customers all the time when they were requested).

Regards,

Craig
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

gnome 52

Yeah thanks for that Craig.  I will chase it up thru Track and see what eventuates . Thanks again for the reply.   Neil
2011 topaz / 2005 4.2td patrol

outbacktrev

Is the alignment process and measurements the same for the TVan & Topaz?  :-\ I would have thought the Topaz would have different settings/measurements as it is a much heavier vehicle and has dual shock absorbers.  :-[
The inside of the tyres, on a preloved Topaz we have just bought, are worn down considerably and the rest of the tread is almost new.  :'(
Before I buy new tyres I would like to have suspension aligned to prevent a similar issue.  ;D
Cheers,
            Trevor
2021 GXL 200 series Toyota   2016 Topaz series 2.

Frankrhona

Andrew & Clare
2005 ZD30 Patrol
2006 Canning Tvan

outbacktrev

Frankrhona,
                 Thanks for the heads up. I contacted Track Trailer and they sent me a PDF to explain the wheel alignment process.
The TVan & Topaz are VERY similar except the TVan requires a 280mm spring spacer and the Topaz requires a 300mm spring spacer.
Apart from that the process is the same.  ;D
Cheers,
           Trevor
2021 GXL 200 series Toyota   2016 Topaz series 2.