News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Lake Cobbler?

Started by ChrisN, September 23, 2013, 11:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

Hi folks

I'm planning an exploratory trip for late November, to  have a look around the Lake Cobbler area in NE Victoria. I gather the access from the north (Whitfield, Bennies, Lake Cobbler Road) is pretty easy and should present no difficulties with the Tvan in tow. But I'm interested to learn if anyone has experience of heading out from Lake Cobbler and across to Mt Stirling and Mt Buller via the Cobbler Lake Track, the Staircase, Speculation Road and up past Craigs Hut. Towing vehicle is a GQ with rock-crawler ratios in the transfer case.  I've plenty of experience in the Vic Alps (in other parts) but not in this corner and not towing a Tvan!

Thanks

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------
Chris

2003 Tvan.  Nissan Patrol GQ.

Owie

Chris, the staircase was cleaned up quite a few years ago, you will drive it and barely even notice it.
From Cobbler to the King river there is really only one tight turn just below the staircase.

From Craig's Hut to Stirling there are a couple of Low 1st sections, but the right tyre pressures and right line they are not difficult towing.

The monument track off the back of Stirling to the circuit road I'd avoid when towing.

2011 DC HiLux, 2009 MkII TVan.

ChrisN

Thanks Owie for the good info. Cheers!

Chris
--------------------------------------------------------------
Chris

2003 Tvan.  Nissan Patrol GQ.

T Man

I'd heard the staircase hade been "made easy" but when I drove it in June it was no different to what I remember from about 10 years ago. When I drove it back then with my 2.8 hilux and Kanga camper from the south I only used low range for one section of about 200 metres so I dont think you will have any problems. ;)
A mate towed his track......um, the flip over hard floor model  ???, up monument track in June so it should be doable as well.

Have fun!
Graeme

wrose

We were up at Lake Cobbler just after New Years.
The track down to Kings Hut via the staircase was a walk in the park compared to previous trips through there.
Make sure you carry a chainsaw as there is alot of dead storm damaged trees that can drop with out notice.
Be aware that camping is no longer permitted at the main Craig's Hut car park, but there is a nice spot just down the hill a bit.
The track from the turn off on the Circuit up to Craig's Hut has also been graded to clear storm damaged trees of the track.
On Lake Cobbler Rd, (the 2WD section)

At Craig's Hut
Wayne and the Rose Circus
(Landcruiser 200 Series TTD GXL)
(2012 Tvan MK III Murranji, wheels & tyres matched to LC200)