News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

my tvan rebuild

Started by ftg racing, December 08, 2013, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftg racing

Hi all
I thought I would share some pics of my little project Tvan.
After a bit of touring with our old 2002 Tvan I have been working out a wish list, lots of discussions over a few beers about what mods would make life easier when touring, rather than cutting into and modifying my current Tvan I purchased this 2009 Murranji from auction after it had a little altercation with a road train resulting in the insurance company writing it off.   perfect for what i wanted.

My plans are not that wild , I have to replace the RHS wall as it was damaged. I also plan on changing the LH wall to remove the window from it.  I plan on putting in another thetford hatch where the window is and putting in a small pantry so i can store basic food items ,  lunch , coffee & tea .  This will be built from ply and screwed / riveted to the ply wall , fully sealed up like the lower storage and kitchen compartments. this will then all be retrimed as well as the full interior.  Drop down thetford hatch will be fitted with stainless on the inside so it will act as a small table aswell.  the pantry will only be shallow so wont encroach on the interior space or bed area too much.

I am also re powder coating the deck as it needed some repairs , i will be re powder coating in the later dark grey color, as well as the outer covers on the side jerry can holders and water tank filler & tap plate in the same color.  The rear bumper needs replacing so i will be replacing with new one in the MK3 orange as well as re powder coating all the yellow in the later orange color.  some of these parts dont need to be re coated but i thought why not customize it a little as it wont cost much more to do it.

front stone guards on the jerry can / spare wheel frame are being widened 50mm to try and keep more stones from hitting the front of the Tvan as well as keeping the taps on the jerry cans clean & safe from damage. these will also be re-powder coated as well as the whole frame sandblasted , zinc & coated.

One of Barons quick set up awnings will also go on this Tvan , i have one on the old van and love it, but i will make some mods to the brackets so awning can be quick released when on tight tracks.
I will also be fitting a ducted heating unit , 17 " GU4 alloys ,  MK3 deck legs , exterior awning light and a few other goodies.

I will keep photos coming as i go.  any feedback or ideas will be appreciated.
Darren

Customized 2009 Tvan Murranji
2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

chris_a

Sounds like an ambitious project. Where are you planning to go once the project is finished?
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

ftg racing

The poor thing sitting at auction

home in my shed

Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

Cracka

Looking forward to this one  :)

Mick
'05 Tvan (Gone).
'12 Defender 90, (Gone).
'14 Mazda BT 50 XTR Freestyle ute.

ftg racing

the old wall coming off

great air conditioning :)
Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

ftg racing

new wall cut out

wall trial fitted into place.  will stay like this until all modes etc are done and then the aluminum outer will be glued into place. 
Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

ftg racing

where the new pantry will be fitted

Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

ftg racing

Quote from: chris_a on December 08, 2013, 08:58:24 PM
Sounds like an ambitious project. Where are you planning to go once the project is finished?
not sure where the first trip for the new Tvan will be , somewhere in the desert or kimberly i think.
good thing is i can take my time as i still have the old one for trips.   
Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

T Man

Graeme

Tanami TVan

Good pick up and a neat looking new side panel.
I imagine you plan to remove the Left hand side as well
and recess a pantry into the side over the guard.
If so it should work a treat. It must be good to have
the basics there and be able to modify to suit your
purpose, keep us updated as you progress
Norm
Norm
2012 Nissan Patrol
2011 Tanami TVan
Wanneroo Perth

ftg racing

yes Tman , thats the one.  I have a few photos from the accident scene but since they are not my photos didnt think I should post them.

Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

Alpaca

G'day Darren, I have seen the set of photo's of the accident and the Tvan didn't look too bad although the drivers side wasn't visible. Did the suspension suffer from the sideways push?
I bet it is an interesting project.

Cheers
Alpaca
The Tug: 2000 model 100series Now Turbo'd Woo hoo Diesel even more woo hoo, now with intercooler
The Barge: 2006 Tvan

T Man

Yeah the pics are out there.

I didn't think there would be too many about that had taken on a road train.

You're getting stuck into it, good job.
Graeme

ftg racing

Quote from: Alpaca on December 09, 2013, 08:05:45 PM
G'day Darren, I have seen the set of photo's of the accident and the Tvan didn't look too bad although the drivers side wasn't visible. Did the suspension suffer from the sideways push?
I bet it is an interesting project.

Cheers
Alpaca

RH axle has a slight bend as the wheel was hit.  Once i get the new one from Track I will fit it up and do a wheel alignment.  The van is currently sitting on a set of heavy duty stands that are custom made to sit a Cobra kit car chassis on during build up.
Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L

ftg racing

been a fairly lazy couple of days after a rough trip to the dentist ..... but back into it today.
Graeme from Track called today to say RH suspension was ready for collection.

as you can see by the pics , the old one was a little bent.   
Suspension is now all fitted up and wheel alignment done. All aligned up as per factory specs.
New DO35 coupling also fitted today and I also got a start on pulling the LHS wall off.

Darren

2004 GU4 4.2ti ST-L