News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

New front roof hatch required

Started by tastrax, December 24, 2013, 11:06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tastrax

I have just found out that the front hatch in my van has a broken wind mechanism so I suspect a new hatch is in order (its a 2006 model so I reckon spares are non existent for the TF40 hatches). Can someone tell me what is the brand/model number for the hatches on newer models? I reckon its a cutout of about 400mm x 400mm.
Cheers - Phil

2006 Tvan Tanami (with a few extras)
2010 Isuzu Dmax LS-U

batsy

REMIS is the brand. You can buy the clear hatch only for around $190.00. I bought mine from AL KO Trailer Parts at Yatla Queensland.
Cheers
Batsy
80 Series 1hd-ft auto 40th Anniversary with a TVAN Canning

tastrax

Cheers - Phil

2010 Isuzu Dmax LS-U

tastrax

OK - I am assuming its just the 400x400 skylight. Do the newer models have these in the front and rear? Might just do both at the same time.  :)

http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle-technology/product-catalogue/caravan-motor-home/skylights/
Cheers - Phil

2010 Isuzu Dmax LS-U

Cruiser 105Tvan

My 2009 model has 400x400 Remis clear view hatch's.
If you fitted them you could claim it was upgraded and worth more, mmmmaybeee.
If you talk to Alko there's an option of a smoke tinted cover also.
It was mentioned on this forum not long back.
Part No. 675009 (150.00 + GST) available through Alko dealers.
I'm sure they could get the whole assembly, with the darker dome, if asked nicely.

Robert.
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

The Hueys

A bit of trimming of the hole and some drilling will be required to fit the Remis but it is worth doing. Throw away the flyscreen than comes with it (they don't like the heat) and get one from Track to velcro onto the roof.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

Mal.W

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the White non see-through hatches in my 2004 Tvan. When the hatch is closed, it's dark, when it's open it's light. I replaced the flyscreens with Midgey screen and haven't had a problem.

Mal
100 series Landcruiser TD, GXV, set up for touring
2015 Mk4 Murranji. On the road full time now ( we were until recently)

groucho

I've been trying to buy a couple of TF-40 hatches from an Australian supplier without luck - not even Track have them anymore - plenty in the UK but they won't ship to Oz for some reason (too fragile?). Today I happened upon the website for Just Kampers in the UK and it came up with a message suggesting that I go to their Australian website instead. I rang the phone number in Sydney and spoke to Simon who said that, while they had no TF-40s in stock, he'd try and get them from their UK shop.
When he gets back to me I'll post the result.

Cheers,
Groucho

groucho

Further to my previous post - Simon got back to me and they do have these hatches.
http://www.justkampers.com.au/fiamma-roof-skylight-white-for-roof-depth-of-2-5cm-to-4-0cm.html

Cheers,
Groucho

groucho

I fitted the hatches today - a perfect fit with the old TF-40s.
Even the screw holes on the roof matched exactly.
I can heartily recommend these if your TF-40s are stuffed.
Cost for two was $186.60 delivered to Adelaide from Sydney (postage $15).

Groucho

The Hueys

Track used those hatches for a few months during a shortage of the TF40's at one point.

How have you fixed the latch to the front hatch? When Track used them they fitted the front one around the other way.
Craig Hewitson

groucho

Craig - I haven't refitted the exterior latch to the front hatch yet.
And I did mount the front hatch as per the original.

Groucho

groucho

Turns out the Fiamma hatch has a prominent lip on it which prevents use of the latch on the TF-40s so, as Craig suggested, I had to remount the front hatch so that it opened to the back.

Groucho

MYT150

On the new MK111's they are now fitting the front hatch to open towards the back rather then the front, it is the recommended fitting by the manufacturer, from what I was told when I was picking up a Tvan the other day.
Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

The Hueys

Hi Aidan, that's interesting that there would be a change, as the manufacturer of the various hatches have always said to mount the hatches the other way around (hinge at the front) and this is industry practice. The main reason is that if the hatch isn't locked down properly or the catch gets damaged then the hatch isn't going to fly open as the wind blowing over it will hold it mostly closed. Track have always been aware of that but have gone their own way and mounted the front hatch with the hinge facing the back (excluding the previously mentioned hatch) as it promotes better airflow between the two hatches and is better at preventing water entry in light rain due to the angle they are mounted on, and baring mishaps is the better option.

In the 14 years of Tvan production there has been little trouble from doing this so I wonder what has prompted the change.
Craig Hewitson