News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

What step or ladder arrangement do you use?

Started by Elmer, March 04, 2014, 07:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eelezy

Quote from: Elmer on March 16, 2014, 07:02:22 PM
Chris - I think the previous owner used something like the unit below, which is designed for attaching a hi lift jack to a bullbar.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hi-Lift-TM-700-Jack-Adjustable-Aluminum-Tube-Mounts-1-Pr-Each-/271409200443?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f313fbd3b&_uhb=1

Yes, I also saw those on evilbay...and will weld up a similar set-up...for just a few dollars.

Craig...I am not suprised you havent seen that "step" before...we Eagle owners keep things veeeerrry quiet in case the TVAN owners get jealous and want to get in on our secrets! LOL ;)

Chris
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

jetjr

Heres what came with mine
Not 100% which model but think its 4 step
http://baileyladders.com.au/products-2012/household-supalite-platform-step-stool-100kg

Have to say it is perfect, plastic top part rests on edge of bed, thin, light and can be used standing alone for any roof type problems around the camp. Youd think it was specially made for the job

I have the same drawer setup too AND it does the same sagging thing. Its aftermarket but looks to have been sold with trailer, there are printed labels warning of opening drawer without rear legs down. Highly justified warning, whole drawer and trailer ends up in your lap.
I pulled it all apart and recoated and whilst its great, its very heavy, Id say 150-200kg and you loose ~ 50mm or more depth in the trailer. Nice slide and locking system, few stopping points.
Later models had an Alloy model which ran on bearings mounted direct to trailer sides, it sits lower, is no doubt way lighter, is retained by strap, only in or out. Locking and unlocking when out looks awkward. A problem on even slight slope.

jetjr

Couple of pics of later model drawer and step

That small step looks deadly at night?

Eelezy

Trip report: Over the easter break we headed down to Cape Paterson ( near Wonthaggi, Vic) with the mighty Eagle trailer...and following on from the recent posts I did some mods that worked really welll in 'real' life.
Firstly, the spade holder as pictured by Elmer was terrific...an easy mod using those rubber block mounts available from 4wd stores at about $5.00 each
Next, I made up a metre length of led strips ( ebay...about $5.00 delivered!) and attached it to a velcro backing strip..this then mounts anywhere, but especially as a reading light by stretching across the tent bars behind your head...just use little velcro strips to wrap it around...fantastic!
I also recently replaced the standard rear stabilising legs with the wind down alco wind down ones...like these...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alko-corner-steady-caravan-stand-for-trailer-or-camper-stabilizer-leg-F16-/121212800199?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item1c38d88cc7
MUCH better and able to work or adjust easily for soft or uneven ground....no more blocks of wood or digging out holes...
The table I made to cover over the drawbar and pictured on previous posts is sensational...we do all cooking etc on it...even has a wash up tub on the end now...

Things to do: I previously lined the top bed edge in maring carpet to stop the freezing metal on your body parts, but now will do the same on the inside downward edge, as it is still possible to touch those parts with your toes or hands...yes...a bit soft but gives me another project in the shed! Oh, and we had lined under the mattress with those square interlocking mats from camp shops and they are really worthwhile....raises the bed slightly and prevents any moisture on the ply floor...

so that's it for now...will try to post some photos..and..shhhhh....I know the TVAN and TOPAZ owners must be getting fairly envious of us Eagle owners, but heck...that's life eh!
Chris and Sue
2014 Mark Three Canning with extras, 76 series V8 Landcruiser...(you know you want one!)

Cruiser 105Tvan

Watchit, the  8) windows have eyes and the walls have ears. :-X

Wouldn't wanna give up any secrets. ;D ;D ;D
Robert.
VK3PPC (Amateur).  VZU641 (Outpost LMR. Flying Doc. Radio sys.)
HDJ 105r with a 1HDFT, 2009 Canning MkII. Refurbed & pushing.

Eelezy

LOL...knew someone would respond to the dig!  ::)
Chris

Cruiser 105Tvan

Watchit you, I'll talk Aidan into makin your part of the Forum totally separate.
You won't like them apples, they'll have grubs and fruitfly through 'em.
Robert.

MYT150

Robert,

It is a separate section already, I might just have to delete it  :o  :P

Still waiting for the photos from the trip Chris.

Aidan Cashman
Track Trailer Forum Administrator

Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel

Cruiser 105Tvan

This thread is worthless without Pictures. >:( :o
C'mon Eelesy, lift ya game. ;D
Robert.

Elmer

jetjr - thanks for your input. I bought the 2 step unit from Aldi a little while back and it was too short, so took it back. I may end up with a step ladder like you have done. The Aldi unit would have been ideal if it was taller, as it had wide treads and dismantled for easy packing.

Not satisfied with the sliding drawer in my unit, I managed to pick up another on ebay and instead of ply I intend to use material similar to that used in alloy trays. The one i picked up is fitted with a 19mm thick ply floor and while quite sturdy, it was really heavy. I will then re-configure the old one to fit in the back of my cruiser to use as a large sliding drawer.

Another project I am working on is reconfiguring an older Beefeater 2 burner BBQ ("Balcony" model) to fit the camper. I need to revamp it extensively to reduce the weight and bulk and then work out some sort of quick attach / detach arrangement.

missingthong

QuoteHeres what came with mine Not 100% which model but think its 4 step
http://baileyladders.com.au/products-2012/household-supalite-platform-step-stool-100kg
Have to say it is perfect, plastic top part rests on edge of bed, thin, light and can be used standing alone for any roof type problems around the camp. Youd think it was specially made for the job

We use, I think, the same ladder from Bunnings. It was a bit long for the under bed storage, so I took the red plastic top off and shortened it by a couple of inches. It slides in feet first at a 45 degree angle and then stands on its side so doesn't take up much room.
A substantial bit of the ladder projects above the bed so it is easy to hang on to for safety. 
I also used a square piece of tube that fits into the step slot near the wheel (and is held with a pin) and clipped to the ladder, so the ladder cannot slide out. The ladder is used folded up and can be un-clipped to access the storage boxes.

It is certainly handy to have a ladder to clean the roof with a broom etc. before leaving camp and also for clipping a light to for cooking after dark. We've been told everything you take with you should have three uses  :o and I think that is three!

We also use a fitted sheet (Queen size?) over the folded up canvas before the cover goes on to try to stop dust getting onto the tent.

I'd be interested to see some photos of how the boat rack attaches to the trailer?

Elmer

missingthong - welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. The small ladder seems to be the popular option.

When I get a chance I will unpack the camper, take some photos of the boat rack and post here.

missingthong

Fair enough.

What worries me is the lack of a grab rail along the edge of the bed. If you start to slide off the top, or start to fall backwards while climbing up, there is absolutely nothing to grab onto.

This happened again last weekend while setting up the tent. I tried to climb up using the wheel and my fingers lost grip. Luckily, I wasn't very high off the ground at the time.
Also my wife isn't tall enough to make up the bed while standing on the ground.

Elmer

Quote from: missingthong on April 30, 2014, 09:16:26 PM
I'd be interested to see some photos of how the boat rack attaches to the trailer?

The boat rack is fitted to the trailer using U bolts that wrap around the boat rack frame and bolted through the wheel arch and the top of the bottom boxes. Each section is U bolted at two points. The boat rack is in two section - front and rear.

Construction is a 40mm square top section that is U shaped and has a rubber section that the boat would rest on. The part that is vertical and bent 90 degrees to fit on the box and wheel arch is 30mm square tube. The minor angled supports are 25mm square tube.

Here are some pics:

Elmer