News:

Welcome to the new Track Trailer forum

Main Menu

Tow tongue height

Started by byrockbird, March 05, 2014, 04:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

byrockbird

Could someone tell me what the Tvan owners manual says about the recommended tongue height of your vehicle. I am sure they give a range with maybe 500mm somewhere in the middle. I know it depends on the vehicle and wheels, tyres etc but i was just interested in what was said by Track.
Thanks, John & Rob  :)
2014 Isuzu LSM auto Dmax. TrackMate Trailer.

The Hueys

500mm is the recommended height but not all vehicles are able to have a hitch at this height.

My Toyota is 500mm with the flat of the ball mount at the top unladen, it drops by about 30-40mm with the van on but this has never been a problem.
Craig Hewitson
Former Track Trailer Service & Sales Manager - 2005 to 2011
MkII Tvan behind a Mazda BT-50

byrockbird

Thanks Craig, just what i needed. Cheers, John & Rob
2014 Isuzu LSM auto Dmax. TrackMate Trailer.

Jim

I would have thought the height of the vehicle's towing tongue would depend on some variables rather than a specific height.

The overall diameter of the tyres..
The load rating of the springs..
The pressure in the tyres.. (probably only a small difference)
The number of extras fitted to the unit and the load in the Tvan (the total weight).

How I used to set up any van or camper - best done when both towing and towed units are loaded and ready to travel.

Use a level hard surface..

Find a 'level line' on the van or camper and adjust the jockey wheel so a spirit level tells you the good news (often the drawbar, but choose your own 'level line')

Back the vehicle up to the trailer hitch and you'll see whether the towbar hitch is at the correct height or needs to go up or down.
There are a number of vehicle hitch inserts, including adjustable inserts, available to get the height correct.

Jim

chris_a

Getting things level is easy if you have adjustable air bags fitted in the rear springs like those from Polyair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami

Jim

Chris..

I gather you have airbags inside coil springs on your tow vehicle, not airbags over leaf springs?
Airbags over leaf springs will lead to chassis failure.

Airbags inside coil springs are ok, as long as the spring towers are up to handling the extra load.
Airbags should only be used to level the vehicle, not to level the vehicle plus whatever it is towing.

It's also important not to overload the vehicle's rear axle beyond the load specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

The vehicle's rear axle load includes the towball weight of anything you're towing, plus whatever weight is transferred from the front axle.

Jim

chris_a

Have used Polyair inserts in the rear springs of my current and previous Prado - very happy with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris,
Toyota Prado 150 series D4D
Tvan Mk II Tanami