Main Menu

Locking mechanism for D035 towing hitch

Started by ccol2621, October 24, 2014, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccol2621

MKII Canning TVAN - short drawbar.
2014 Prado 150 (facelift diesel auto)

Wildmax

Yes, I've got one. Works fine and I use it when leaving the camper unattended for any length of time. Easy to use, looks solid, and design is a neat solution to locking your hitch. But of course nothing will protect you from a determined thief with an angle grinder!!
Wildmax
MY2018 dual cab Hilux SR auto with all the ARB gear
Previously: TVan Canning MkIII
now: AOR Eclipse III + Black Wolf 210 tent

debian

Hi ccol2621

We have one too and think it's a worthwhile investment.

Deb & Ian
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

peter_mcc

I was wondering if you could make one up with a suitable sized bolt and drilling a hole in it for the lock - inserting it from the top, padlock underneath. Then the dust cap would fit over the top to keep the rain out.

Bengalla76

You could make your own but the VC unit uses a HD Bi.Key and is pretty solid. You would be better of removing the hit than attempting to break the lock. Happy with mine good peace of mind if you have to leave you van on a trip or at home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Harry Lissimore

I have had some success using a lockable pin that holds the towing tongue in the towbar holder.  I just place that pin in the  DO35 hole and lock it. The pin can't come out and renders the Tvan DO35 hitch unable to be used. It also means I have a locking pin I can use to lock the tongue into the towbar should I need it.  I think that they are about $20 at camping and caravan shops.
Formerly 2002 TVAN, now a 2015 Topaz Savannah and 2014 Isuzu MU-X LST. Now towing with a 2019 Toyota LC200 GXL.

ccol2621

Hello again

We bought one of these d035 locks from Vehicle Components and have found it be a real pain to lock/unlock. It's quickly falling into the realm of the at 35 hitch!

Hubbie has called Qld and they have provided some tips but not looking promising.

We are leaning towards this is a faulty lock, but want to rule out user error first. We are very familiar with the key system as we have them on a number of community halls that we use on a weekly basis.

Would love to chat with a couple of folks from here on the phone to rule out user error. Even better is there is someone from Southern Sydney with one that we can visit to visually compare operation.

PM me if you can help out.

BTW we looooovvve the swap over to the d035 hitch itself.

Many thanks.

Cuppa

Quote from: Harry Lissimore on October 29, 2014, 01:29:13 PM
I have had some success using a lockable pin that holds the towing tongue in the towbar holder.  I just place that pin in the  DO35 hole and lock it. The pin can't come out and renders the Tvan DO35 hitch unable to be used. It also means I have a locking pin I can use to lock the tongue into the towbar should I need it.  I think that they are about $20 at camping and caravan shops.

Hi Harry,
Could you post a pic of what you are referring to, or a link to one online? I think what you are describing may suit me. With my previous vehicle & trailer combo I had a heavy duty lock which allowed the trailer hitch to remain locked & protected against theft whilst either hitched up & driving, or with the trailer disconnected. (Using a standard 500mm ball coupling). I was a bit disappointed when my enquiry to Vehicle Components revealed that their lock for the DO35 does not allow for locking whilst hitched/driving.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

debian

We don't find the Vehicle Component DO35 hitchlock difficult to use.  We do have a seperate lock so that the tongue can't be removed from the towbar as well.

Is it legal to lock the DO35 or any other hitch onto the tongue while driving? We thought you had to be able to quickly release the lock without requiring a key...(in case of accident of emergency).
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

debian

Unless you mean while you are on the road but are stopped somewhere but away from the car??
Ian & Deb
2014 Pajero
2013 Tvan Murranji

Cuppa

Hi Ian & Deb,
The hitch lock I referred to (& still have) is called a 'Hitch Helmet'.  This is it   https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=138&item=91169&intAbsolutePage=    you can see that specific mention is made of being able to use it whilst the vehicle is being driven. I had hoped that there might have been a something with a similar function for the DO35, as it was so convenient not having to put it on & lock it each time we went for a walk, or removing it before driving. It also gave an added degree of confidence when driving on rough roads.
Big Trip Blog

A Nomadic Life

2006 Ex Telstra 4.2TDi Patrol based camper & 2010 Tvan Tanami

blueyfrost

When towing we place a hardened padlock through the end link of one of the 2 trailer safety chains next to the D shackle and that then locks the chain to the tow vehicle, this means that even if someone uses a spanner to undo the nut under the DO35 pin on the tow bar tongue, they cannot easily steal the TV without also having to cut the padlock, anything to slow them up
Nick & Sarah
Ford Ranger twin cab & 2009 MK11 Tanami

HappyTraveller

Hi Ian & Deb,

I've had the Vehicle Components lock for the last year or so and don't have any difficulty locking and unlocking it. I think you must have a faulty lock.

Andrew
TVan Mk5
Trakmaster Pilbara Extreme
Landcruiser 200

ccol2621

Thanks everyone.

We have it worked out. It needed quite a large number of "cranks" on & off to lubricate the lock.

Then with another large number of "cranks" on & off, we worked out it appears to be slightly spring loaded. You should not turn the key to the furthest of the lock position, hold the key there whilst attempting to remove it - doesn't work.  What is needed is turn to the lock position, let go of the  key  & it springs back a tiny bit, and then the key comes out easily. Works consistently in this manner.

Bit strange, (and hard to explain) and  different to opening a building door, where you turn the key to the furthest, then remove the key with the key held in that position.

Cheers

boyce

I had a similar problem with mine, which arrived in the mail today. At first, the keys (both of them) were hard to get in the lock as well as hard to get out. Called Australian Lock Company to check on the correct lubricant. Puffed in some graphite and then everything worked just fine after multiple key movements. It would be handy to have some instructions as I had not realised that the lock mechanism goes on the bottom of the hitch with the pin through from the top. This was explained to me by the Vehicle Components people. FYI. Cheers, Boyce